Chapter 6

Harry, Liam, Louis, Niall, Zayn, and Dk were all there.

I wasn't sure were exactly sure where 'there' was. I wasn't sure where I was, why I was here, and why no one was paying me any attention.

Harry's hand held mine, he squeezed it every so often.

I looked over and Louis was sitting beside Dk, his arm around her and their fingers intertwined.

Then it all started coming back to me. The hot, warm tears slid down my face. Then I couldn't hold it back any longer. The sobs became louder and more noticeable. They looked at me, turning their attention from someone else.

"Shhh." Harry said wrapping me in his strong arms.

"Where am I?" I asked, crying a bit more silently now.

"The hospital."

"What? Why?"

"Because you collapsed. Your brother told us what happened, and what he told you to make this happen." Niall interrupted, squeezing my shoulder.

"When did you speak to my brother?" I asked curiously.

"Well, considering I'm right here, I'd say they've been talking to me for a bit now." a deep, stiff voice that I knew far too well said.

I slowly turned my head in the direction the voice came from.

"Jer?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yeah. Its me. Im surprised you still recognize me, its been so long." he smiled slightly.

I held my hand out to him, knowing he wasn't the type for hugs. He was, that is until he joined the military.

He pushed my hand away and squeezed me into a hug. I let a tear slip and Dk screamed, "You're hurting her!"

He let go quickly and took a step back.

"No," I said shaking my head,"You just haven't hugged me in so long.. And I- I missed it."

He smiled, actually showing his teeth this time. I smiled right back, leaning back into the bed. Harry grabbed my hand again and I smiled, even bigger.
"Can I talk to Kat alone?" Jer asked suddenly.

"No." Dk said glaring at him.

"Yes. And Dk.. are you, well.. Are you mad at me?" I asked nervously.

She sighed, leaning into Louis more and smiled. "Nah." she told me nonchalantly.

"Oh, are you two..?" I asked smiling.

They both nodded, looking a little cautious of what I might say next.

"Oh, Dk thats great!" I said excitingly. You could practically see relief on their faces. I look around at everyone else and realize that you don't make friends like this often. I havent known these boys very long at all and they're all here with me. Friends I've had for years probably wouldn't be here.
"Now everyone get out for a minute so Jer and I can talk." I said. Harry squeezed my hand. I nodded at him.

They all got up and walked out, Harry glancing back at me again before closing the door.

"So, Jer, long time,no see. I'm not being rude but why did you come all the way out here?" I asked as politely as I could.

"Well, its about Matthew.."

I blinked back the tears. I suddenly wished for Harry to be by my side, comforting me.

'No,' I scolded myself, 'You love Matthew.'

What I wasn't realizing though, was that there was no more Matthew for me to love.

I guess I shouldn't have been that upset. We all knew it was coming. Like I said - it was basically a suicide mission. But the thing was, I loved him. He was my first boyfriend, my first everything. Except sex, just because we felt like there were better things to worry about, and we weren't that interested in it at that time.

"Kat.. did you hear anything I just said?" Jer asked me.

"Wha? No, sorry."

"I said, we found a body, we have identified it as Matthew.. but he left us with something to give you."

"What?! GIVE IT!" I screamed.

"Calm down." he chuckled.

"Jeramiah David Sanders, give it. Now." I said glaring.

"Woah, cool it with the full name." he smiled sheepishly, handing me an envelope.

I took a deep breath and opened the crisp, white paper.

____________

Kat,

I want you to know, I will always love you. If your reading this, I'm dead. I know, it's hard. I miss you, I know I do. I need you too move on, find love again. There's another guy out there more worthy of you than me. I'm sorry the last time I talked to you had to be through paper.

I love you,

Matt.

P.s, you can sell that damn cat.

_______________

I giggled a little at the last part.

I wiped the tears from my eyes and smiled. I climbed out of my hospital bed, opened up the window and looked the sky.
"I'll always love you Matthew." I whispered.