Six

"Nice cold air!" Jace says, embracing the air conditioned mall as we walk into it.

     "Finally," Karl sighs, running a hand through his dark hair.

     I look over at Jennifer and admire what she's wearing- a yellow tube top with checkered pants and combat boots.

     Effortlessly beautiful. I wish I was as pretty as her.

     Her long blonde hair is tied up into a ponytail which bobs at every movement she makes. I envy her. She's so beautiful. Carefree, even.

     "Also, hey," Jace says, slowing down his pace to walk beside me as the others walk in front of us.
     "Don't worry about money, if you see something you like it's on us." He says as Shaun turns his head to check on us and flashes a quick smile.

     I look up at Jace, my eyes widening slightly.
"N-no, I can't-"

     "No excuses," he says smiling as he glances down at me.
     "The foster care system sucks. Gotta get you some new stuff somehow," he says, smiling.
     "That's how things work in our house too. We all work together and take care of each other," he says, a smile forming on his face and a dimple I didn't notice before makes its appearance.

     Like you couldn't get any more hot.

     I sigh and look down at my feet as we walk.
     "Okay, fine, ya got me." I say playfully and giggle.

     "Hey, Addison! C'mon, I want to help you pick out some clothes!" Jennifer says excitedly, running up to me and reaching out for my hand.

     I smile lightly and take it, only to immediately be dragged into American Eagle.

     "Don't break her!" Jace calls, a chorus of laughs following suit.

     If only you guys knew.

     "Oooo, look, Addison!" Jennifer says, holding a forest green tube top up to me.

     I feel my face heat up quickly, as I imagine myself wearing that.

     I'm so self conscious of my belly.. also my scars are there.. not only from him..

    "Uhm, how about this?" I say, shying away from the tube top, and more so looking at tank tops and tee-shirts.

     "Hmm," Jennifer thinks, dropping one hip.
You can practically see her wheels turning.

     "I have an idea! If tube top is outside your comfort zone, maybe you'd be okay with something like a flannel over it?" She asks, quickly sorting through flannels before she pulls out a black flannel with its sleeves half rolled up.

     My eyes light up as she puts the two together.
That would work.

     "I mean.. if you insist," I say, horribly acting like I'm unsure about the idea.

     She does a quick happy squeal, which in turn makes me laugh.

     She's spunky.

     I begin sorting through shorts, since I don't have many. Of course though, living in LA, having shorts is a must.

     I finally pick out a dark blue denim pair of shorts, which have a white drawstring in the front.

     "Oo, score! Look what I found," Jennifer says from me.

I hadn't noticed her wander off, so her voice behind me startled me slightly, and I backed into a rack of shirts.

"Oh- sorry! Didn't mean to scare you, but look!" She says and pulls out two bodysuits, one being a tank top type and one being strapless.