Ten

Finally. I think to myself as we pull into the driveway.
For some reason, it felt like it took longer to get back than it did to get there. Even worse because of the heat, it's over one hundred today.

"I say we go swimming," Jace mentions, looking over at Shaun.

"You guys have a pool?" I ask, raising my eyebrows slightly.

"Even better," Shaun says, looking back at me as he unbuckles his seatbelt.
"Go get changed. We'll wait in the living room," he says as he walks towards the stairs with me just behind him.

"O-okay," I stutter, starting up the stairs.
"Should I bring my sandals?" I ask as we reach the top.

"Oh yeah, definitely. I'll grab you a towel, too." He says, flashing a quick smile before turning and going to his room.

I walk into mine and shut the door, before opening the bag again and searching around.

God what am I gonna wear..

I end up pulling out a black sports bra, with a plain white t-shirt and black biker shorts.

"This'll do," I mumble to myself as I tuck in my shirt.

I don't want it to ride up and have them see my scars.

"Oh," I mumble to myself and search around in the bag before finally pulling out a hair tie, and tying my hair up into a messy ponytail.
"That'll do," I say to myself as I slide my sandals on before opening my door and trotting down the stairs.

"Hey, catch." Shaun says from my right.

I look over just as he tosses me a towel.
"Here you go, the others didn't want to wait." He laughs, slinging a towel over his shoulders.

It's easy to tell he works out. He's got strong looking arms and a faint six pack.
I only look briefly so he doesn't notice, as we walk through the kitchen to the back door.

"Oh, hold on," he says, turning and going to the fridge.
"Here, take two of these." He says, handing me two waters from the fridge, before grabbing three himself.
"Now we can go," he says, smiling as he walks towards the door again.

I slide it open, seeing as his hands are full.

"Oh- thank you," Shaun says, smiling as he walks by me.

I walk out behind him, shutting the door behind me and turn to face a large, open but fenced off backyard.
There's a patio table with an umbrella, and four chairs with what looks to be a couple pipes and a couple of glass pieces sitting on it.
What are those?

"C'mon," Shaun says, noticing I trailed behind a bit.

"Oh! Sorry, coming." I say before jogging up to him and walking at his side as he leads me to a wooded trail hidden in the corner of the backyard.
"What were those glass things on the table?" I ask, looking around as we walk through the shrub.

"Oh- oh. You don't know?" He asks, looking over at me for a second.

Am I that innocent?

"Um, so I'm gonna assume you've lived a pretty strict or sheltered life," he starts as he passes a hand over his hair.
"We pretty much all smoke.. marijuana," he says awkwardly, as if this is his first time explaining it.

"Marijuana? Oh, I've heard of that. It's an herb you smoke right?" I ask, looking up at him.
I've heard other girls talking about going out and 'smoking marijuana' at the foster care.
The walls were really thin. That's where I learned my eavesdropping habits.

"Yeah, pretty much. And to set some ground rules.. you're still young, so don't smoke it." He says strictly, looking at me for a second.

I nod in agreement, but something tells me I'm gonna wind up doing it.

"We're here," he says as he pushes aside a tree branch, revealing a large lake with a dock, and a rope swing.

"Oh my god," I breathe, looking around.
I've never seen anything like this place. I mean, of course I haven't, I never went anywhere growing up.

Jennifer is laying on her towel in the sun, with sunglasses on with Karl sitting on his towel beside her.
Jace's towel is just in front of them, and he's pulling the rope swing back, his hair glistening in the sunlight.

"Jace!" Shaun yells, running and throwing down his blanket and dropping the three waters, startling Jennifer into startling and sitting up.

"Hey- hey!" Jace yells as Shaun crashes into him, knocking them both into the water.

A smile spreads across my face, and I walk up beside Jennifer, laying my towel down and sitting on it.

"Hey, Addison! You look cute," she says, looking over at me and smiling.

"Oh, aww thank you," I say, feeling my cheeks heat up.
"Uh, we brought water," I say, gesturing to behind her, where I put my two along with the three Shaun threw down.

"My prayers have been answered!" She says, turning and grabbing a water before drinking about half of it.

I laugh as she screws the cap on, and wipes her mouth, a breath escaping her mouth.
"We forgot water, and I was silently hoping you two would bring some." She says, smiling over at me.

"Haha, you're welcome," I laugh.
"Wanna sit on the dock and put our feet in the water?" I suggest, looking out at the lake, watching Shaun and Jace bob around, splashing each other.

"Sure! Karl, c'mon, lets cool off!" She says excitedly, grabbing his hand and pulling him up before running down the grass with Karl in tow.

I giggle, getting up as well and walking after them, enjoying the heat, and the noises of nature.

I walk out onto the dock, staggering slightly when I realize it's swaying slightly.

It's okay. You're not gonna fall. Even then, it's not that deep.

"Hey, look who joined us!" Jace says excitedly as he swims closer to us.

"Jace, if you splash me you're dead!" Jennifer yells playfully, kicking water at him to make him go away.

"You always splash me first!" He retorts, trying to dodge the water.

"Not like you do!" She argues, putting her hands on the dock on either side of her.

I laugh as I sit beside her and stick my feet in the water, Jace looking at me before looking away quickly, thinking I didn't notice.

A small smile forms on my lips, before Jace sends a huge splash at the three of us.

"Jace!!" Jennifer screams, now soaked.

"At least it's not just you! Let's get him," I say playfully, getting ready to jump in the water.

How hard can swimming be?

"Jace, watch her!" Shaun calls as Jennifer jumps in the water, proceeding to splash Jace.

"I'm fine!" I call back, also splashing at Jace.

"Water fight!" Jennifer yells, swimming towards me.
"Boys vs girls, whoever gets out first loses!"

"Oh it's on," Jace challenges, looking over at Shaun.

Shaun rolls his eyes playfully and swims over.

I look down at my feet, realizing I'm just a foot away from the dropoff.

"Hey, be careful." Jennifer says, noticing how close I am.

"I know, I see it," I say as Shaun treads in front of us.

"You guys ready?" Shaun asks, a challenging smile on his face.

"I should be asking you that," Jennifer replies, smiling as she flicks water at the two.

And then the splashing started.