Chapter 29

I was trying my best to remain unseen without appearing creepy but under what circumstances is it really okay for a forty year old man to be hiding behind a potted flower plant?

Can't think of any other than the one I'm finding myself in now.

I peaked through the leaves of the overgrown fern as I watched my little sister being talked up by one of her very persistent suitors. By "very" I mean, openly yet respectably flirtatious.

They stood in the break room, near the fridge. She leaned her back against the countertop while he poured himself a cup of coffee. I couldn't make out what was being said but whatever it was had Pearly Ann tossing her head back and covering her mouth as she tried not to laugh to loud.

I don't know what it is about these Baskerville girls thats got men so obsessed with them. Both of them were well known hotties around campus. Ruby Jean's beauty was always being discussed by someone but it was Pearly Ann who was always being actively pursued by some dude be it my brother or some other classmate of hers.

Something about 'em.

The McKellans left about two weeks ago. Ghalen was put in charge of their Arkansas branch here in Canterbury which has damn near made him a partner in development.

Within the two weeks he's been working with us, he's had ample opportunity to better acquaint himself with Pearly Ann and has indeed managed to so.

I've seen this man bring in flowers, kiss her hand, and compliment every possible thing about her.

Pearly Ann's mood has certainly changed for the better with him around. She's been more energetic, giggly, and charming. Basically, she's returned to her normal self. She's switched up her wardrobe a bit. A lot more colourful materials and lots and lots of cleavage and push-up bras.

Pearly Ann has been trying to keep things between them a secret but they have had lunch together twice at least and I see him walking her to her car nearly every day. It's too soon to know if they had officiated anything. I mean, it's only been a couple of weeks and no one really even knows the man.

But it seems like Pearly Ann was really enjoying herself and that's all that mattered to me. And that she's safe, of course.

I had to admit, they did make an alright couple. Pearly Ann was about the same height as her sister making her about seven inches shorter than Ghalen who was fairly tall, himself.

Ghalen stood in a relaxed stance with his coffee in hand. He didn't wear much business attire since he spent more time on the sites than the rest of us. He typically wore plain t-shirts, khakis, and work boots. That was no different today.

She stood, next to him, in her slim fit mandarin dress that I'm sure wasn't entirely appropriate for work, given it's it deep thigh slit. Her hair was in classic victory rolls that looked wonderful on her. I have watched her grow into such a lovely young lady over the few years I've known her. When we first met, she was wearing pink hair bow, emphasising her girlhood.

Their conversation wrapped up but before he exited the break room, Ghalen was sure to put his arms around Pearly Ann's shoulders and she had no trouble reciprocating.

Ghalen walked down the hall and was out of sight within a matter of seconds and I was waiting for Pearly Ann's exit so that I could escape undetected when she said, "G, you can come out now."

Slowly, I stepped from behind the bush and tugged on a leaf. "Just making sure the soil is nice and fertile. I wasn't sure when it was last watered so..."

"That's a fake plant."

"You damn right it is."

"I know you've been spying on me with Ghalen. What the hell for?"