Chapter Seven

Zira lay inside the den at Pride Rock, her red eyes glowing in the shadows. She was laying still on the outside, but on the inside she was trembling with both fear and pain. She knew Scar was mad at her because her revenge on Simba was long overdue, but she just couldn't seem to find the right moment to kill him! Simba was either close to fellow pride mates or out in the open where anyone would see if Zira tried to kill him.
   Zira felt a kick on the inside of her stomach. She was pregnant but no one else knew, not even Nuka or Vitani. She stirred, stretching her legs.
   Suddenly, Zira's mind bore a plan. An evil plan. She hoped to have a strong son who would kill Simba for her and become king. Yes, that would work. Zira closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

   "Zira!"
    Zira's eyes burst open. She somehow knew she was dreaming, but it all felt so real: she was sitting in the clouds with Scar standing right there.
   "Your honour!" Zira gasped, immediately bowing down before her former king.
   Scar's eyes shone. "Zira, you are to behold a son, which you shall name Kovu. You shall raise the cub, teach him only the best fighting skills, and then when the time is right he will kill both Simba and Kopa and take his rightful place as king. Do not let me down, Zira."
   Zira nodded frantically. "I won't let you down."