Chapter Twelve

Kopa was beyond alarmed to see two large hyenas coming toward him and his friends: one male and one female. Both hyenas were laughing and cackling eerily.
   "Ooh, look what we have here!" The female hyena snickered. "Easy prey, by the looks of it."
   "I think we've hit the jackpot, Shenzi," the male hyena replied, flicking his tail in agreement with the female. He eyed Kopa and his friends hungrily. "Let's see what we have here...a nice, plump pig, a juicy-looking bird, two delicious-seeming lion cubs, and...ooh, that meerkat would make a nice toothpick for after we feast."
   Timon dropped to his knees, a pleading look in his eyes. "Oh, Shenzi and Banzai! Please don't eat us!" He begged.
   Kopa bravely stepped forward, standing in front of Vitani to protect her. "What are you two mangy fleabags doing in the Pridelands?" He demanded to the pair of hyenas.
   "Oh, don't mind us, we're just on a shopping errand for dinner," the female hyena, apparently named Shenzi, sneered. "And we brought our daughter along with us."
   The two hyenas stepped back and a cub came and stood between them. Kopa and Vitani both gasped in unison. It was Asante, the hyena cub they'd met not long ago.
   "Asante!" Kopa exclaimed. "These are your parents?"
   Asante nodded. "Yeah, so?"
   Zazu fluttered forward. "Get out of the Pridelands at once!" He ordered Shenzi and Banzai. "Or—"
   "Why should we listen to a scrawny chicken?" Banzai interrupted him. He looked at Shenzi, then back at Zazu. "To be fair, we should've eaten him a long time ago."
   Shenzi nodded in agreement. "And we hyenas want revenge for how Simba is responsible for the death of our friend, Ed."
   "Ed died in the fire that broke out at Pride Rock during the end of Scar's rein!" Zazu shot back. "We Pridelanders are not responsible for it in the least."
   Kopa stares at Asante. "Please don't let your parents eat us," he pleaded.
   Asante rolled her eyes. "Why should I listen to a lion?" She spat. "Besides, we're hungry. There's barely any food in the outlands."
   Why is Asante suddenly acting so mean and snobby?? Kopa thought, his heart racing. She was so nice when we first met her!
   Suddenly, a familiar voice rang out behind Kopa, Vitani, Timon, Pumba, and Zazu. "What are you scrappy hyenas doing in the Pridelands?" It was Simba, who'd arrived with the other lionesses.
   Kopa expected Shenzi, Banzai, and Asante to cower and run away at the sight of the mighty king, but they stayed in their spots and simply grinned at Simba. "Why, hello, Simba!" Shenzi snickered. "Long time no see."
   Baring his teeth, Simba marched up to Shenzi until he was nose-to-nose with her. "Get out of my lands, now, or you and your family will regret it!" He snarled fiercely. Nala rushed over and dragged Kopa to her to protect him. Zira did the same with Vitani.
   Banzai frowned. "Fine," he growled. "As you wish, your majesty."
   Simba and the rest of the pride watched as Shenzi and Banzai, along with Asante, slowly turned and made their way back to the Elephant Graveyard. Kopa's heart sank as he watched the three hyenas disappear into the distance. Asante seemed so nice at first, he thought. I guess I should've never trusted a hyena in the first place.