IX. Totally Salvageable

Fawn like blue eyes wide and hazy, pink lips tainted red George shily hid his hands in his hoodie pocket observing the other man in anticipation. Will queasy from his antics and the dirty blonde's undivided attention took a step back and uneasily chuckled searching for words that didn't seem to come. The taller boy pondered about his options by his friend's side, leaning more and more toward fleeing by the minute.

Oh god. This was a terrible idea.

Although an apology was already forming in Will's brain almost ready to break the odd silence George beat him to.

"Glad we didn't do that on camera." The younger man murmured, humour in his tone. "The fans would've freaked. The boys too I reckon."

At least you didn't. Well, you might be losing it just as much as I'm right now, but I can't be sure. Will thought to himself a sliver of residual confidence from that afternoon keeping him from voicing his concerns. He'd left his flat in the hopes of coaxing answers out of the younger man and apparently now he was back on square one. Great.

"Yeah. Would've had to explain ourselves for hours."

"Definitely. Good thing that now there's no need." George's smile was far from convinced, both members of the pair were aware that there was more to say.

Will swallowed as mixed feelings surfaced. He could take this two ways, either go against his friend's statement or agree with him. However having seen George's attitude the latter was the obvious winner.

"Exactly. Just mates completing a dare, nothing else."

George knitted his eyebrows together with a non-angry huff then pushed himself up onto the counter – always a nice seat just don't tell Alex. Will had kissed him so fervently ever handsy – dare I say far from platonic – and popped in unannounced yet he claimed it was for a stupid challenge. He wasn't buying it. Not this many days later, not judged by the near make out session it turned into when it could've been a small peck in front of their friends or a few more seconds of waiting to claim victory.

"I mean you didn't have to go through with it so..." The blue-eyed boy trailed off, views spoken into air, eye-contact thrown out the window.

Will clicked his tongue as an itch to fidget in some shape or form astounded by his mate's willingness to remain on the subject.

"You kissed back so..." The brunette retorted smart enough not to be tricked into a confession.

George hung his head low in an attempt to conceal a smile, 'Well, yeah, you're a great kisser' on the tip of his tongue. "I had to appreciate the hustle."

Will paid the smaller man a side glance forehead wrinkled, eyebrows ascended. "What's that supposed to mean?"

George looked at him the second green irises travelled to the floor. "You know, you coming here out of the blue about a week after you panicked your way out of a video then pretended it was a planned skit solely so you can lips me now privately where no one else could see."

Will had never been called out more openly and accurately. He spluttered something incoherent as a reply. Despite George normally having the social skills of a watermelon his observations were spot on this time. He might've been good at this when it mattered...

"What's your aim here, mate?" Will eventually found his mental dictionary and formed a sentence.

"My aim?" George asked back, handing his companion a second chance to rephrase that on a silver plate.

"What do you want me to say? That I came here because I couldn't stand knowing I blew my only chance of kissing the secret love of my life, you my sweet prince or what?"