Chapter one

©2020 by Maryanne
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or used in any manner without the written permission of the copyright owner.

Still under editing, so there may be typo errors. Either way....Enjoy!!!

Chapter one

Lagos cities always topped the list when it came to traffic in Nigeria. Today was no exception in Lekki, as Evelyn Collins parked her small convertible in the parking lot of Richardson Industries. It was still early in the morning and she was grateful for the cool air.
    Although she was a little bit later than usual, she knew she was still too early compared to other employees. She smiled with pride at that.
Evelyn walked into the impressive foyer of the building with a smile, greeting Waya, the security man at the door. He had got to be the most cheerful security man she has ever seen or met.
    She had just come back from her weeklong break after falling ill. Mr Richardson had insisted she take a break. Evelyn was glad she listened because she had taken her time to sort things out at home.
    Two years ago, she had been wallowing in self pity after all the places she had applied for employment had turned her down. Richardson Corporations had been her last resort and was the biggest company she had applied for. Honestly, she had just applied because her roommate had insisted she did. She sure as hell hadn't been expecting a call from Richardson's informing her that she had gotten the job as personal assistant to the owner and was to start immediately. Even now, she still felt like she were living in fantasy.
    The receptionist looked up from her computer. "You look lost in thought, Evelyn." Bernice said, smiling.
    Evelyn smiled in return. "Not really, the weather is just nice."
    Bernice seemed to find her answer funny and burst into a fit of giggles. "Weather Evelyn?" she snorted. "What has the weather got to do with anything?"
    Evelyn couldn't help the tiny giggle that escaped from her lips. "Everything Bernice, the weather is nice and it opened up the abyss of thoughts in my head."
    Bernice looked at her in confusion and burst into another fit of giggles.
"Okay B, that's enough. I know I'm not making any sense right now." She shook her head. "Is there any mail or package for Frank?"
    The receptionist began to shake her head but suddenly turned wide eyes. " Mr Richardson came early this morning, and he asked me to tell you to meet him in.." she nervously looked at her watch. "Oh my God Evelyn, you have to be in his office in five minutes."
    Evelyn had no time to ask questions before she was shooed into the waiting elevator. She frowned as she wondered what was going on. Why would he come in early? He usually came in late in the mornings. He had been behaving weirdly these past few days and Evelyn had tried so many times to ask what the problem was but he has always dismissed her with a friendly smile or a pat on the back.
She thought about her boss. Frank, as he liked to be called was a very cheerful old man. He has been really nice to her all the time and had been a father figure to her the two years she had worked for him.
    The elevator came to a stop and Evelyn quickly walked out heading straight for the door to Mr Richardson's office. Whatever this was, she was going to find out anyway.

    Evelyn looked at Frank in shock as if the were the first time she was setting her eyes on him. She closed her eyes as she tried to process what he had just said.
    "Evelyn, today is my last day at the company." He has said with a small smile. "I'm moving to London with my wife." His eyes softened at the mention of his wife.
    "I don't understand Sir. You mean you are leaving for good? Who will take over the company? I don't understand. Did the doctor request this of you?" She had asked in confusion.
    He had walked over and gently placed his hands on her shoulder, giving her a small grin. "My dear Evelyn, life's too short. I'm already too old for this, I'm going so I can enjoy the rest of my days in peace. And don't worry, my last son Julian is taking over." He frowned and looked at the door. "He should have been here by now."
    Apparently, during her week at home, Frank had decided to finally resign. It was no news, as everyone in the company already knew it was coming since Frank's visits to the hospital had increased. She was just shocked it had come this soon.
    Evelyn felt tears in her eyes, but held them back. This was a man who had been really good to her. "Time really does fly past, real quick. I can't begin to show you just how much I appreciate working for you. I will surely miss you."
    Frank opened his mouth to respond when the door to his office opened, and Evelyn turning very slowly, facing the man who has just entered and felt her whole body freeze.
    Julian Richardson, Frank's last son. A man who was arguably the most stunning she had seen or met. His African-American heritage added to his striking handsomeness. He was clean-shaven and dressed in a well tailored suit with an air of arrogance, gracing his features. He looked domineering and she could bet her life to it that under those designers, lay a well toned and muscled body.
    Hurriedly, she tried to put all those thoughts away as he walked over and stood just beside his father.
    "Good morning, Dad." Even his voice sounded dreamy.