Chapter fourteen

Evelyn walked up the stairs to her bedroom on weak knees. She was grateful she had been able to reach her home without breaking down completely. She shut the door behind her and leaned against it, closing her eyes. Oh God! She thought, and collapsed onto her bed as tears flowed down her eyes, freely. The impact of her situation was overwhelming.

Growing up, she had spent time, building her ideal man in her head. Julian wasn't anything like her ideal man. Her ideal man had been tall, lean, blonde.....with blue eyes. She laughed humourlessly.

Julian was as dark as chocolate, tall, chiseled... he was anything but the man she had dreamt about. Where her ideal man was calm and romantic, Julian wasn't. He had stormed into her life like a raging tornado, breaking down every wall she had built.

They both hadn't really defined their relationship in a particular term.....hadn't given it a name yet. And just when she had finally thought things were falling into place, this had happened. His ex-wife had appeared and he had wasted no time rekindling their relationship. She was his ex-wife for christsake! Gwen was a mere personal assistant he had met few months ago. She didn't even want to start thinking about the fact that they had a son together. A son

No!

She couldn't compare with that. First thing Monday morning, she will hand in her resignation letter. After all they had shared, she couldn't and wouldn't work in the same space as him. With a firm resolve, she pulled off her gown and underwear.

After taking a quick shower, Evelyn slipped on an old shirt that barely reached her thigh and dove under the duvet. She hugged her pillow, her head aching so much that her eyes hurt. She tried to make herself sleep but, heaven knows she just couldn't. She felt thoroughly and utterly alone. Bernice had texted that she was on a weekend getaway.

Even lying on the bed reminded her of him. She hadn't even had the time to really explore what was going on between them and yet, she had lost him. she had lost the man she loved. The man she knew she would never stop loving. Somehow, Julian had come to build a home in her heart. She shut her eyes as tears continued to flow freely from them.

Someone was banging at her door. From her room upstairs, she could literally hear the door rattle in it's hinges. Evelyn pushed off the covers and got up in a rush, steadying herself as blood rushed to her head from the quick movement. She could still feel the dull ache in her head as she walked down the stairs.

Who could be visiting her by three in the morning? She held onto her phone where her thumb hovered over the emergency number. Taking a quick peek through the door hole, she felt her heart slam at the sight of the figure standing behind the door.

Julian! What was he doing here?

She hesitated, not wanting to open the door. She heard him lean on the door.

"Evelyn, please open up. No other person I know smells of berries, at least, not in this country. Heck! I can feel you." He drawled, his voice desperate.

Evelyn sighed and pulled open the door, enough to fit her head through. He was standing there, his suit jacket gone, his tie askew. She forced herself not to look at his face. They had nothing to talk about. She opened her mouth to tell him just that when he sighed heavily and pushed open the door, pulling her away carefully. He shut the door behind him.

"What do you want, Julian?" she asked, her tone cold.

"Evelyn please, hear me out." He said, raking his hands through his hair. He looked really sad and frustrated. Good.

Now that Julian had gotten here, he found himself at a loss for words. The look Evelyn was giving him pierced through him, aiming for his heart. It hurt to see her like this. She walked back, distancing herself from him. That hurt.