Chapter 4

The next morning, Evelyn was awakened by a call from Julian asking her to come down so they could have breakfast together. She had flat out refused, dreading sitting close to him. She knew she was putting off seeing him as she didn't know what to say to him after last night. After a few arguments from his side, he had finally sent her breakfast to her room, insisting she eat as they had skipped dinner last night.

     Now, bags in hand, Evelyn walked down the hallway. This time, she used the elevator, trying to calm her nerves. He was waiting in the limo when she walked out of the hotel. She pushed into the seat, setting her bags down slowly and carefully avoiding any form of eye contact with him.

     "Is everything alright, Evelyn?" He asked from beside her.

     "Yes Sir" she replied, trying her best to sound as cool as possible. From the corner of her eyes, she saw him jerk at her address.

     "Oh, I see." He said coldly and brought out his phone to make some calls.

     During the car ride, he had tried talking to her occasionally, but she had kept on adding "Sir" to each answer. Finally getting the message, she watched from the corner of her eyes as he adjusted his tie and proceeded to make some more calls. The rest of the car ride was spent on silence. Rather than feeling satisfied, she felt sad.

     Julian had heard that you could never understand women. He couldn't understand Evelyn at all. Why was she giving him the cold shoulder, he hadn't even touched her! Well, except for that time in the conference room...he just couldn't bring himself to retrieve his hand. Her skin had felt so hot against his. Her hands were so soft, like she hadn't worked a day in her life. He wasn't a womanizer but he sure as hell didn't find difficulty, getting a woman before. Why was Evelyn even affecting him this way? She was his personal assistant for crying out loud..his employee. But his body refused to acknowledge that fact...

    He shouldn't have told her he wanted her!

     He was forced out of his thoughts by a sharp knock on the door. "Come in."

     The door opened to reveal none other than the woman he couldn't stop thinking about. She had given him attitude throughout today. He couldn't count the number of times she had used the word "Sir" in her sentences. He looked at her throat hooded eyelids, his eyes trailing down to those legs. He felt his trousers tighten, as if they weren't already tight. At this rate, he would explode in them.

     "Sir, these are the documents from Mr Chima. You need to sign them." She said, still standing by the door and avoiding direct eye contact.

     "Okay. Bring them." He stretched out his hand and she walked over and gave them to him. It didn't take him up to two minutes and he had signed everything and handed them back to her.

     "If you may excuse me Sir, I will take my leave." Julian couldn't bring himself to answer and so she turned and walked towards the door.

     "Wait." He heard himself say.

     She turned.

     "What's going on Evelyn?" he asked, he couldn't help himself.

"What do you mean, Sir" she said, sounding so cool and he felt his blood boil.

     "Stop acting like you do not know what I mean. Ever since you got into the car this morning, you have been acting really different. Cold even. And what's up with the "Sir"? What? No more Julian? Is this because of what I said last night?." He voice raising a little.

     "Sir.." She said again, not meeting his eyes.

     "Stop that!" he interrupted, really annoyed now. He placed his hands on his neck. "Just leave."