Boot Camp

Jessica’s POV

Boot camp. I was ready for this. I sit on stage amongst the others and I see a few familiar faces, but not many. I had never felt alone like this, I always had people talking to me. It was so strange.

The stage seemed ten times bigger now that I looked at it.

“You have to be the best to make it through boot camp, and cuteness won’t do. You have to have actual talent.” I hear a lady say. I turn around and see an older gal, about thirty, who clearly thought she was all that. I’d show her.

After a while of sitting and listening to other people talk the judges come out. Everyone cheers and my heart beats faster. I wanted Dylan to be here with me.

“Right now we will make a cut, if I don’t call your name you will have to leave. I’m sorry.” Simon says and there is a collective gasp. Already people were going home?

“This is it. The one’s they just let through cause they were cute are going now.” I hear the lady say. Had my dedication to Dylan been the cute that got me through or did I actually have talent?

They start the list, and to my relief my name is called. Bowman, B, I was close to the top at alphabetical order. Thankful, I go off stage to meet the others who had made it through. A girl with long curly brown hair follows me and sighs.

“I was worried for a second.” She laughs.

“Me too. I’m Jessica,” I introduce myself.

“Ashlee,” she says and people keep coming. Over three fourths of the people who made it to boot camp were leaving though. I was so lucky to have made it this far.

“And last, but not least, Meghan Wilhelm.” Simon says and the girl comes off stage in tears.

“I thought I was leaving!” she says and I smile at her. If I was called last I would have had the same reaction.

“We are sorry again to those of you who didn’t make it. But this is the end of your journey.” Britney says kindly. I wouldn’t have been able to hear those words; I would have rather died. As the rejected leave the stage in tears and anger the rest of us wait. Here I was at boot camp. For real this time.

Leti’s POV

“Sing off partners will be, Darian Jane and Marla Peterson.” LA starts announcing. Who would I be paired with? I was so nervous.

“Leticia Avila and Hannah Marshall.” I hear and I join the girl I guess is Hannah.

“I’m Hannah,” she says. She was… different. She had long jet black hair, and piercing blue eyes, but what was weird was her outfit. I would describe it as goth or emo. All black, trench coat, chains. I was used to weird things coming from where I did, but this was really different.

“I’m Leti,” I say.

“Latina girl huh? That’s cool, what song should we sing?” she ask and I wonder if I should take offense to what she said. I couldn’t change who I was, and yes I was Latina, why was that a big deal?

“I’m good for anything, I can rap if you are into that.” I say pushing past what she said.

“Do you like Avril Lavigne?” she asks and I try to think of who that is. Avril Lavigne, blonde hair right? Okay I knew her.

“Yeah she has some good songs.” I say.

“I want to sing When You’re Gone is that fine?” Hannah asks and I nod. Maybe I knew the song.

We start rehearsing and I quickly learn the song, I wasn’t going to let Hannah beat me in this sing off. This competition was too important to me and my family. As we wait off stage Jordan is singing. I was glad he made it through too.