11.

NATE'S POV

NATE'S POV

okay, so i'm not the greatest at keeping promises.

walking into school with astrid on my arm was the best  feeling in the world.  i felt like i had won the lottery. i could feel the harsh glances that we were receiving from the dipshits in the halls, they can stare all they wanted to at me, but when it comes it astrid, i don't fuck around.

"ayo shit head, the fuck are you looking at?" i shouted to a random kid staring at astrid. his head quickly snapped over to look at me, his eyes filled with fear.

i craved that look from people like him. i feed off the fear, it maculates me, makes me feel powerful.

"i'm waiting for an answer." i said, inching closer to him as i stepped in front on astrid. "i- i wasn't looking at anything?" the boy whimpered. i scoffed, "oh really? so you were looking at nothing?" i questioned, raising my eyebrows. he quickly nodded in agreement. i nodded slowly, backing away.

"so you're calling my little astrid here nothing?" i said, slinging my arm around her waist and pulling her close.

the boys eyes went wide as he quickly shook his head. "n-no! that's not what i meant i-" the boy rambled on.

"nate c'mon that's enough." astrid said with a soft smirk on her lips as she pulled me away. i rolled my eyes and obliged, "i guess today's your lucky day." i said, winking at the boy. astrid sighed and tugged me to the side of the lockers.

"alright, alright i'm done." i chuckled. suddenly i felt astrid smacking me repeatedly on the chest.

"hey! ow! stop that!" i said, trying to blocking her hits.

"you promised nathaniel!" astrid said looking up at me with a disappointed look. i raised an eyebrow at her, not understanding what she meant.

"i said no picking fights today and not even 10 minutes into the day and you're picking on the poor kid." she said pointing over to the boy i previously taunted. i look over to see him taking a puff of his inhaler quickly. he looks up in relief until he meets my eyes and his face pales. he covers his mouth as if he's going to be sick and runs into the bathroom. i chuckled and looked back at astrid who was looking at me with a serious look on her face. "what?" i said innocently.

smack!

"shit astrid! that one hurt!" i said, grabbing the back of my head and scratching it.

"you know better than to break promises to me nate." she huffed, crossing her arms. i looked down at her and sighed.

"i know. i'm sorry, alright? i just don't want you to have a rough day you know? you just got back and i don't want anyone to give you a hard time." i mumbled.

what i said was true. i don't want to see her hurting anymore. she's been through so much in the past couple of months, i want to make sure she has one place she can feel okay and if i have to force it by punching a couple of dweebs, then so be it.