PROLOGUE

rue bennett and astrid santiago were best friends since they were little kids, they were practically inseparable, extra emphasis on the "were"

rue bennett and astrid santiago were best friends since they were little kids, they were practically inseparable, extra emphasis on the "were". that all changed sophomore year when rue's dad passed away due to cancer. astrid tried to be there for her, she really did, but she couldn't keep up with rue's hunger for a rush.

"it's just a small get together! c'mon astrid!" rue pleaded, begging the girl to attend yet another party with her.

"rue, you know how ma gets. it's already 1." astrid groaned, sitting up in her bed. "i don't even have the guts to sneak out. that's a chancla to the head for me." astrid chuckled.

"look we're just gonna sneak out the window, grab our bikes and go, okay?" rue stood up quickly, opening astrid's bedroom window. "what am i gonna tell my mom if she comes in and sees we're not here?" astrid asked. rue shrugged in response, "i don't fucking know and i doubt its gonna happen so can we please go."

astrid bit her lip and thought about what would happen if she got caught. "rue..." she mumbled. "astrid you need to calm down, seriously!" rue sighed and went over to the girl and pulled a small white pill out of her pocket. astrid looked at rue with wide eyes. rue shot her a glare as if saying "relax". the two stood in silence with rue's hand extended out to astrid, "the clocks ticking." rue sighed. astrid looked at rue with worried eyes. "am i gonna die?"

rue rolled her eyes and started putting the pill back in her pocket, but before she could astrid grabbed her wrist. she took the pill out of rue's hand and swallowed it quickly. rue watched her with a surprised expression.

"okay, let's go."

after a long and puzzling bike ride, the two finally arrive at what wasn't a small get together, shocker, but a huge party. rue grabbed astrid's hand and walked in and an instant wave of ecstasy washed over astrid. body's we're moving all around the room, drinking, dancing, kissing. rue dragged them over to were the drinks were and grabbed a random bottle. she instantly began to chug it. astrid watched closely before grabbing another bottle and doing the same, followed by a hard cough. rue laughed and went out to the dance floor and broke out into a dancing frenzy. astrid laughed before joining her.

the two girls jumped around and danced like it was just the two of them. astrid, a little too drunk and gone, got carried away. she began to grind on the nearest dude, not caring who it was. that's when it set in that astrid loved the state that she was in, carefree, and she was determined to make it last for as long as she could.

she turned around and looked up at the boy. he had piercing brown eyes and a cold stone expression. she let her hands wander up his chest slowly before they met his cheeks, leaning in and kissing him slowly. the boy kissed her back, his hand travelled down to gently caress her butt before giving it a hard squeeze. astrid gasped in response before pulling away with a smirk on her lips. she went to lean in again, but she was harshly pulled away. she looks over to see rue pulling her wrist.

"hey, what the hell?" astrid yelled over the loud music. she looked up to say goodbye to the boy, but he was no longer in the place he was before. "rue!"

rue shook her head and pulled astrid outside. "we need to go home, now." rue exclaimed. astrid frowned in response. "what? why?" she asked confusedly. rue looked back at the house to see the boy standing in the doorway, looking at the two girls. "because of him, we don't fuck with guys like him." rue said lowly, looking the boy up and down. she grabbed her bike and helped astrid onto hers and they started to peddle away.

"wait rue, who is that guy?" astrid asked.

"that's nate motherfucking jacobs." rue said.

astrid looked back at the house to see him still standing in the doorway. nate gave her a slight smirk in which she smiled in response.

"hm, nate jacobs." astrid smirked. she looked away and peddled her way back home with him on her mind.

"nate jacobs"