10.

mondays

mondays.

everyone fucking hates mondays, but no one hates them more than astrid santiago.

"mami! i'm not feeling well!" astrid yelled as she rolled over to look at the time on her phone. it was 7:23 am on a sunny monday morning, specifically astrid's first day back at school since being in the hospital. she never liked school. she hated being judged not only academically by the fucked up corruption that is the american education system, but also the students within the four white walls of hell she had to stay in for eight straight hours.

"not today mija, it's your first day back!" her mother pleaded as she walked into her daughters room. "really, mom i'm not feeling good." astrid groaned, trying to convince her mother to help her avoid another day of awkward glances and whispers. rosita got up and placed her hand on her daughter's forehead to feel if she had a fever, which they both knew she didn't. "you feel fine. astrid, there's nothing to worry about i promise you sweetheart." she sighed, placing her hands on her daughter's cheeks. "make today a good day." she smiled softly. astrid sighed, rolling over face down onto her pillow. "i don't even know what to wear." she mumbled into her pillow, before sitting up. "who do you have to impress?" her mom said with a smirk as she got up and walked over to the closet. "the boy from the hospital?" she asked quietly, already knowing the answer.

astrid got out of her bed and walked over to her closet with her mom, not responding to her mother's question. "i'll take your silence as a yes." she said with a slight laugh. "no mom! nate and i aren't like that." astrid said, rummaging through her closet with frustration.

"mmm, i don't know about that mija. the kid practically has corazones for eyes when he's around you." she laughed shaking her head. "ooh what about this?" she said, showing her a light blue camisole crop top and a cropped dark blue striped blazer. astrid stares at the outfit in her mom's hand before nodding slowly. "that just might work." she smiled softly, taking it from her hands and walking over to the mirror.

"you know he waiting for you right?" rosita said softly, leaning against the wall with her arms folded. "what?" astrid said cluelessly as she grabbed a pair of light wash jeans from her drawer. "nate, he waited for you." she repeated. astrid stopped what she was doing and turned to look at her mom once again. "what are you talking about mami?" she asked.

"yesterday, when i was holding you. after you fell asleep, i tucked you in and i looked outside your window to see him still waiting outside in his truck." she explained. astrid's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. why would nate jacobs, world class heartbreaker sit outside her house as she had a literal breakdown. "why would he do that?" she asked, still not understanding.

"he wanted to make sure you were okay." her mom responded. "i looked at him through the window and gave him a nod, and he drove off. that's all." she said. astrid shook her head. "i doubt that's why he waited mom." she said in denial. why would he ever care about her? she wondered. "i need to get ready if i'm actually going to go today." she sighed. "thank you for the help, i appreciate it." she said, walking up and giving her mom a kiss on the cheek. her mom embraced her and kissed the top of her head. "he seems like a good guy." her mom said. astrid chuckled and pulled away from her, walking back to the mirror as she started her makeup. "if only you knew." she sighed. "alright, i won't bother you anymore." her mom laughed as she walked out of her room. "have a good day mija, te quiero mucho." astrid smiled as her mom shut the door.