09.

when astrid woke up in the backseat of nate jacob's car half naked, she knew she fucked up

when astrid woke up in the backseat of nate jacob's car half naked, she knew she fucked up. astrid tried to sit up but was restricted by nate's arm draped across her waist. she looked over to find him sleeping peacefully, his lips parted partially. astrid smiles softly, then her eyes went wide when she looked at her surroundings and noticed that the sun was up. "shit!" she gasped.

"nate, wake up!" she said, shaking him slightly. "what the fuck." nate groaned as he woke up. he sat up and saw astrid, shirt off and makeup slightly smudged. he smirked, "well aren't you a sight to see." he said, leaning in to kiss her. astrid dodged him shook her head. "no time, the sun is up, nate." she said, climbing into the front seat. nate slapped her ass as she climbed over the console. astrid rolled her eyes, biting back a smile. "where's my phone?" she said, looking around the truck. nate looked around the backseat. "i don't know, but here's your sweatshirt." he chuckled, grabbing it and tossing it over to her. astrid grabbed it and put it on. nate got out of the backseat and walked around to the driver's seat and hopped in. he saw astrid's phone on the floor and handed it to her. "here you go babydoll." he said. astrid instantly grabbed it from him and saw she had dozens of texts and calls from her tobias and her mother. "ay mierda." she said softly, looking over at nate. "i really have to get home nate." she said with pleading eyes. nate nodded and started to drive out of the lot.

astrid was looking through her phone at all the messages and ultimately decided to ignore them. she let out a sigh and looked over at nate to find him already looking at her. "what?" she asked. "just reminding me of old times." he laughed. "what our break up hook ups?" she said jokingly. it was a known fact that whenever maddy and nate broke up, astrid was always there for nate. physically, emotionally, anything he needed she was there. that's just who she was. "no dumbass, just us being together." nate said, shaking his head. "i was really worried about you, kid." he reached over and placed his hand on her thigh.

astrid chuckled, "i'm here now." nate looked over at her, then back at the road. "i'm serious astrid, you gotta cut that shit out." he said, his voice wavering slightly. "i thought i lost you." he said, clearing his throat. astrid grabbed his hand and frowned slightly, "i'm not going anywhere, i promise."  she assured him. he nodded and let out a loud sigh. "so what about you and latina number two, when are you guys getting back together?" astrid asked. nate rolled his eyes, "i'm done with her." astrid scoffed and shook her head, "yeah, sure." she said sarcastically. "i'm for real. i'm done with that bitch." he said sternly. astrid just nodded. "fuck that bitch." she said, repeating what he said to her earlier. nate cracked a smile and nodded. "yeah, fuck that bitch." he said.

nate pulled up outside of astrid's house to find her mom sitting outside on the porch. "oh shit." astrid said, looking at rosita sitting on the porch. she looked over at nate. "thanks for tonight, i'll call you, yeah?" she said, unbuckling her seatbelt. nate nodded, patting her thigh before she got out of the car. astrid let out a sigh as her mom stood up and marched over to her. "where the hell have you been all night?" her mother screamed at her. astrid walked right past her mom and into the house, not wanting nate to see. rosita followed after her rebellious daughter, looking back at nate's truck before slamming the front door shut and following her daughter.

nate sat in front of the house, wondering if astrid was okay. it's not that he needed to wait, but he wanted to. inside of the house, astrid was getting yelled at by her mother. "i can't trust you anymore!" her mother yelled. "i already told you i didn't do anything." astrid shouted back, going to her room and slamming the door shut. rosita followed after her and slammed down a cup on her dresser. "vete aqui!" she screamed, grabbing her daughter and pulling her to the bathroom. astrid resisted pushing her mother away from her, harder than she anticipated, making her fall into the wall. astrid's eyes went wide as she realized what she had done. she could see the hurt in her mother's eyes. "take the test." she said softly. astrid sighed and took the cup from her hand, walking over to the toilet and peeing into it. once she was done she placed the cup on the counter, putting the test in the cup, and washing her hands. rosita watched her as she did so, looking over to see the test coming out as negative. astrid looked at the cup then back at her mother. "i trust myself. now can you?" astrid said with tears in her eyes as she brushed past her mom and into her room, shutting the door. astrid sat on her bed and sobbed. she didn't notice how much she had hurt the people she loved until now, and she didn't want to hurt them anymore. all she felt was guilt.

astrid got up and looked at herself in the mirror and wiped her puffy red eyes. she couldn't recognize the girl she saw in the reflection. she wanted to change but she didn't know how, but she was determined to find out. she was pulled from her thoughts when her phone began to ring. she picked up her phone and saw that it was nate calling. she looked out her bedroom window to see him still sitting in his truck in front of her house. she picked up her phone and walked over the her window.

"hello?" she sniffled softly. nate's heart broke when he heard her voice. "are you okay?" he said, looking up at her in the window. astrid nodded and wiped her eyes, "yeah, i'm okay." she said. "just have to clean up my act, that's all." she said, forcing a slight smile. she wanted to put on a happy face for him, but she couldn't. "i'll be okay." she whispered, sitting down on her bed. "i'm always here." he whispered, "always."

astrid smiled softly and nodded, "thank you nathaniel." she said. she heard footsteps coming towards her room. "okay, i have to go. i'll see you soon." she said, hanging up quickly. as she hung up, her mom came into her room. astrid sat down on her bed and curled up into a ball. rosita came and sat on the edge of her bed and sighed. "i'm sorry mija." she said, "it's just after everything that happened, i never thought i would see you again." she said, tears running down her face. "and now you're here and i'm scared i'm going to lose you again." she cried. astrid's body was over flowing with guilt. she sat up and laid her head on her mothers lap. "i'm going to get better mami, i promise." she said softly. "i want to be better." she whispered.

the two santiago women sat in silence, rosita running her fingers through her daughters hair. "can you sing to me?" astrid said quietly. rosita smiled softly and nodded. "sana, sana, colita de rana, si no sana hoy, sanará mañana." her mother whispered as astrid closed her eyes and drifted to sleep to the sound of her mothers voice.