Part Three

After a day spent partying away for my twenty-second birthday, I was exhausted. I loved talking to people but sometimes you really just needed a break. This was especially the case when people kept asking me about how I was going to achieve great things for the Starling Empire. I didn't even know what I wanted for breakfast yet! I just needed some time to think and I thought that the best space to do that would be outside. 

I looked up at the purple evening sky and managed a slight smile as I looked towards the full moon. 

"Would you be proud of me, mother?" I asked with a sigh. I could only hope so. I wasn't exactly sure what I should be doing, now. Nevertheless, I knew that I was going to persevere. I didn't want to let my people down. 

It was a relief to be outside and to have taken a break from studying and wearing those huge reading glasses my optometrist had got for me. I mean, seriously, I was an emperor's daughter, surely I could get a pair that were at least a little more flattering for my face. I just exhaled. 

Soon enough, I found I wasn't alone. Xavier, the farmer and stable keeper's fourteen-year old grandson, walked over to me with a sweet smile upon his face. 

"Happy birthday, Haven," he said to me. 

I smiled back at him. 

"Hey, kid. How are you doing?" I asked him. 

"I'm okay. I wanted to know how you were doing, though. I know you have a lot of responsibilities upon you now," he said, as he ran a hand through his light brown hair.

"I'm all good. I suppose I can't really complain. I've mostly just been studying, working out what I need to make sure I definitely do in my own role," I said to him. 

Xavier gave an understanding nod at that, before he replied. 

"Hey, I know you've got this, Haven! You're a strong person," Xavier said with a friendly smile. 

I just stepped forward to ruffle his hair gently. 

"You're a good kid, Xavier. I am sneaking out though. Think you can cover for me?" I asked him. 

"Of course," Xavier replied, with a thoughtful expression. 

If I knew that I could trust one person not to rat me out to the castle guards, then that person would be Xavier. He really was helpful, when he wanted to be. 

"I'll see you soon, Haven," he said to me. 

I gave a murmur of agreement, as I waved a farewell to him and began to set off down the path leading away from the palace. I was thankful for the fact that although it was a cool evening, it was still mostly tolerable. I just pulled my cloak around me more tightly as I walked on, in the belief that I was alone. 

That changed, however, when I heard footsteps nearby me as I had walked into the meadow. 

I just unsheathed the sword that I had sneaked away with me. 

The person who had followed me just held their hands up, though, as the silhouette stepped a little closer towards me, so that I could make out who it was in the moonlight. 

"Sneaking out without me, Haves?" Sebastian's voice asked, as his dark blue eyes flickered with mischievousness. 

"Seb...You scared me," I said. 

Sebastian gave me a sympathetic smile at those words. 

"Hey, I swear I didn't mean to," he told me. 

"It's okay," I said. 

His smile shifted to an expression of inquisitiveness, then. 

"What are you doing out here?" he asked me. 

I exhaled as I tried to calm my racing heart down. Sebastian really was great at sneaking up on people.

"I just needed to get away. At least, for a short while. Everything just feels so crazy," I admitted. 

"I understand that, Haven. I really do but just think, for a second, who can handle crazy better than you can?" Sebastian asked me. 

I felt the corner of my lips naturally lift at his kind words. 

"Thank you, Sebastian," I replied. 

"Of course. It's what I'm here for. Now, are you heading off anywhere inparticular? I don't mean to scare you but I know that wolves can show themselves in these parts from time to time," he told me. 

There were two principle species of wolves and Sebastian was hinting that the not so friendly kind could arrive, soon. It wasn't as though I was about to turn around and go back home, though. I didn't really believe I was in danger. Besides, I had sneaked out enough times to know not to worry. 

"It's fine," I replied. 

However, I then heard a horse cry out from the road nearby the meadow. 

"What was that?" Sebastian asked. 

I felt my eyebrows crease together in slight wonder of that, too. 

"I don't know. However, I want to go and investigate," I stated. 

Sebastian gave me an understanding nod at that and so the two of us made our way back towards the road until we saw what was there. 

It looked like a bandit attack. The horse cart had been knocked over, and the horses in front were severely injured. 

"We'll need to get the castle vet to take care of them," I said. 

Sebastian nodded but remained rooted to the spot. 

I just widened my eyes at him. 

"Oh," he said, as he gave me a slightly sheepish smile, "I'll go get them now. Don't worry. Just stay here," I said. 

Well, it wasn't as though I was about to go anywhere. 

I needed to investigate the cart, though, to see what had happened to the person in there. 

Before I could, though, the cart on the door just came open, and a girl emerged. She had a small plastic bottle in her grip that looked as though it was filled with wine. The girl sighed disapprovingly and then stood up from the ground, before taking a swig of the alcohol. 

"Are you seriously drinking right now?" I found myself asking her. 

The girl's indigo eyes locked on mine, then, as though she had only just realised that I was there. 

"Yes...I survived. It's a cause for celebration," she said, with a smirk. 

I just sighed at that in disbelief. 

"Wait...you're the daughter of the Starling empire. I recognise you from the newspapers," she explained. Amusement flickered in her eyes, then, but it took me a moment to realise why. 

I knew who this person was. 

"You're coming with me," I said decisively. 

"I will not go anywhere with you," the girl returned, but it seemed as though she was too drunk to really fight back. 

I just grabbed a hold of her, as I gripped her arm, and began to speedily lead the two of us back to the castle before any more bandits could come and strike. 

Sebastian must have still been looking for the vet, as I didn't see him on the way back to the castle. That was probably a good thing, though. It meant that I wouldn't have to explain this whole situation to him, or why I was currently leading the daughter of the enemy into the castle.