Part Thirty-Four

To celebrate the union between empires, my father hosted a dance at the end of the Solar season. Harold had his friend back and a decade long conflict had finally come to an end! It was cause for celebration. 

I joined him in the main hall as the decorations began to be set up. 

"Are you okay, father?" I asked him. 

"Look at this cake," he said, as he looked towards the cake situated on the buffet table. 

Upon closer inspection I noticed that it had a little model of my father on the top of it, but his model's nose was much too large. 

"Oh. Oh no," I said, with a giggle. 

My father's eyebrows creased together slightly. 

"I haven't been this disappointed since I found out that cators aren't real," he said. 

"Father, cators are real," I said. 

His eyes widened at that statement, and he looked positively surprised that no one had told him this sooner. 

"They are?" he asked me with amazement. 

"They are," I replied. 

He just shrugged and looked back towards the cake. 

"Quick! Andreas is making his way over here. Get rid of it, get rid of it," he said. 

I just released a soft chuckle again as I reached towards the cake to grab the model-

"The cake! Aw, doesn't it look just delightful? Wait, Haven, what are you- Oh. Oh no. That's unfortunate. You don't look like that at all," Andreas said and then couldn't hold back his laughter, which just caused me to laugh more, too. 

"It's not funny!" my father yelled. 

"It is kind of funny," I said. 

My father just rolled his eyes but couldn't help smirking. 

Soon enough, the decorations had all been put up and so my father, Andreas and I set out to finish off setting up for the dance. This time around, we only had to make sure that all the food and refreshments were served. 

"Well, we sorted that out fairly quickly," my father said, as he regarded the scene around us with pride. 

The chandeliers that hung from the ceiling caused golden light to shimmer down upon the hall, making the room look that much more beautiful. 

"This is going to be amazing!" my father said enthusiastically. 

I had no doubts about that one. 

Shortly after that, my father, Andreas and I made our way out of the room so that we could begin to ready ourselves for the dance. 

I got back to my room and swiftly changed myself into a white and silver dress. 

Avery soon emerged, as she placed some earrings on and smiled towards me. She was wearing a purple evening gown and looked incredibly stunning. 

"Avery, you look..." 

"Beautiful? As do you, gorgeous. Now, let's go," she said, she held her arm out so that I could link mine with hers and the two of us set off for the main hall. 

Once we arrived, the two of us slow danced together for a while. Avery placed her hand on my shoulder and one on my waist. As she looked down, her eyelashes cast shadows under her eyes, and I caught a glimpse of the sparkling blue eye-shadow that she was wearing. She looked up at me through her eyelashes and the corner of her lips lifted in a small smile. Avery looked at some of the castle guards and looked a little nervous.