Part Twelve

After the party was over, Sebastian  and I made our way back to the carirge. I knew immediately upon returning to my castle room that I had too much champagne to drink. That was around the time that my headache started, though I knew that I was just going to have to deal with that in my own time. I would also disguise this matter from my father.

How was it that Avery could drink on a regular occurrence? I was worried about her. In reality, I was worried about her anyway. I was worried because I didn't know what I was supposed to do here.

Florence soon entered my room which broke me out of my reverie. She opened the curtains and the sun beamed in on me. Ouch. I could tell immediately that something was going on because Florence was biting her nails.

"Florence. Is everything okay?" I asked her, as I forced myself to sit up in my bed.

Florence's eyes met mine as she sighed.

"I don't know," she said.

I just got out of bed then, before immediately collapsing back down upon it. My head felt as though someone had rode a horse drawn carriage directly into it. I didn't even think that I had drunk that much! That would show me.

"Mercy and Grace could only help us now," Florence said.

Mercy and Grace were the names of the Gods from the two main Wingacre religions- the light seekers and the sun searchers. The fact that Florence had brought up the both of them was just evidence of that fact that she was particularly anxious.

"Florence, you're slightly worrying me. Are we under attack?" I asked her.

I managed to sit up but placed a hand to my head this time around. 

"Okay well...can I do anything?" I asked her.

"Avery is just refusing to eat again. She wants to see you, I believe," Florence told me.

That didn't really surprise me. If there was one thing Avery loved to do then if was to exchange words with me. I supposed that she could outwit me in an attempt to get out of her prison cell. She just needed to know that wasn't going to happen any time soon. Although she was partially growing on me, which was slightly concerning, honestly.

"I'll go and talk to her soon," I replied.

"I admire you so much for that, ma'am," Florence replied.

It was compliments like this that made Florence so incredibly likeable and also my favourite maid at the castle. She was practically my main mother figure since my mother had died. Right now, though, I didn't feel likeable at all.

"I'm going to get ready and then go and see Cecily," I said decisively.

Florence gave an understanding nod to my words and then made her way out of my room.

While she was gone, I took it upon myself to get ready for the day ahead. If I went to see Cecily then maybe this nervous tension I had in my chest around seeing Avery would simply melt away.

I walked down the hall and soon found Cecily sat on a bench inside. She was fidgeting, which gave me reason to believe there was something going through her mind, too.

"Are you okay?" I asked her instinctively.

Cecily looked up to me and her expression became a little more positive.

"Oh! I'm okay. I just felt an energy shift today. I left some food out as an offering for the Gods. Now I don't think they'll leave me alone anytime soon but I do feel slightly more protected? I don't know. Perhaps it's just a placebo," Cecily thought aloud.