Part Thirty-Five

Cecily's performance was to take place a few days later. I knew that because she had sent me several letters to make sure that I would be there. I had been busy with my new empress duties, of course, but I was hardly going to miss out on my best friend's performance. I knew that Cecily was incredibly proud of herself for all of the hard work that she had put into preparing for the role, and I was so proud of her too. I always was. Cecily was a talented girl and I knew that she would do amazing when she moved to theatre school. I was going to certainly miss her, though, but in the meantime I had assured her that Xavier, Haven and I would take good care of the horses, particularly Winny who had been growing up well. 

Avery walked over to me so that she could adjust my collar and just smiled towards me. With no words said, I already knew that she was thinking happy thoughts about the two of us. I was, too. The two of us were together now and our families supported that. I didn't feel so worried anymore. My self-confidence had come forward in bounds and I knew that I had Avery to thank for a lot of that, but I also had to thank myself, too. Avery began to put on a little makeup, before moving over to me so that she could apply some lip-gloss to my own lips. She then just winked at me, which caused those familiar flutters to start up in my heart again. I could grow used to this, but I knew that my heart was always going to speed away whenever I was with her. 

Avery's eyes moved to my lips and I could already mostly tell what she was thinking about because I was thinking the same. 

"Kiss me," Avery whispered and so I just leant in to do so. 

Avery's soft lips pressed against my own, as one hand gently touched at the side of my neck, while the other touched lightly to the small of my back. 

"I love you," I said, once the kiss had parted, so the two of us could catch our breath. 

"I love you too," Avery said, "Now, are you ready to go to the performance?" she asked me. 

I nodded in agreement and the two of us left my room at the castle and began to walk towards the main hall, where a stage had been set up just for Cecily and her fellow cast members. I knew that Sebastian was also going to be in the performance too, so I looked forward to it. I had always admired my friends dearly for how talented they were, among so many other factors.

The two of us sat down in the audience and the entire hall darkened before the performance could begin.  

"Haven," Avery started to say, as we reached the main theatre. 

I turned to her as curiosity became evident in my expression. 

"Yes Avery?" I asked her in return. 

"I wanted to thank you. I know that it was a while ago that you rescued me from those weird bandits but I really do think that you saved my life that day," she said. 

"What made you think of that?" I asked her, with a small smile. 

"I suppose I was just going over memories of us. Hey! Don't look at me like that," she said. 

I couldn't see very well in the dark of the theatre but I had got the sense that Avery was currently blushing. 

"Well, you saved my life, too, Avery. Don't forget that. On the battlefield that day, if it hadn't been for you and Henry, I might have been taken about by that damn bandit. So, thank you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm always here for you," I said, holding my hand out for her to take it. 

"And nothing will ever get in the way of that," Avery vowed, as she rested her head on my shoulder. 

Alecia showed up and sat beside the two of us as the performance began and I watched as she held Andrea's hand in her own.