Part Twenty

Suffice to say, I had been rather surprised by Sebastian's confession in the library. However, we always stuck together. I would keep his secret, for as long as he kept mine. I would just have to make sure that Sebastian and Avery didn't have any prolonged periods of time together where the inevitable truth could slip out. I rolled over in my bed and decided it was about time I got ready for the day ahead. I was an emperor's daughter, after all. I couldn't just lounge around in bed all day, even if I desired to do that. I had a job to do, a mission, as it were. 

I hastily got ready for the day into my ivory blouse and dark blue trousers, and then made my way out into the hall. 

"Oh, good morning, Haven," my father greeted me, as he held a coffee mug in his hands. 

This caffeine addiction looked as though it had spread from Quill to my father. Perhaps it was just an old guy thing. I would stick to my hot chocolate, thank you very much. 

"Good morning dad," I greeted him, "How are you doing?" I asked him. 

"I wanted to talk to you about that, actually. We know for certain that we haven't much reason to suspect that the Sparrow soldiers are making their way here any time soon. However, when they do, we have to crush them," he said. 

I gasped at his words. 

"Crush them?" I almost exclaimed. 

"Like a grape...or a cracker, you get the picture," my father said. 

I just sighed. 

"Father, the real conflict lies in the bandits attacking passers by on the tracks outside the empire's castle. That's how Avery ended up here," I told him, then. 

"You mean to tell me that she didn't sneak into the castle thirsty for our blood?" he asked me then. 

I just felt my eyes widen in slight disbelief. 

"What? No. I thought we already went over this. I found her cart collapsed not too far from the castle. That's where all of this began. Now, I just need to find a way of..." I trailed off. 

My father just met my gaze with curiosity. 

"I need to find a way of getting her back home safely," I said. 

My father raised an eyebrow at me in wonder. 

"Is that what she wants?" he asked me. 

He presented me with a good question, of course. I didn't know whether this truly was what Avery wanted. I was probably going to have to go with a 'no' on that one. However, having her around was becoming difficult for me. She was going to have to leave sooner or later. After the conflict between our parents had been settled, Avery and I would hardly have any reason to talk to each other anymore. 

I felt my gaze harden. 

"I don't know. I'm working this out," I said. 

My father's expression became slightly sympathetic at my words, but before he could say anything else my brother joined the two of us. 

"Hey," Henry said, as he ran a hand through his slightly disheveled hair. 

"Did you just wake up?" I asked him. 

"I may have been studying all night," Henry admitted. 

Why did that not surprise me in the slightest? 

"You need your sleep!" I exclaimed. 

"But I-" 

"No buts! You need your sleep," I said.