Part Ten

Once we returned to my room, Cecily instantly wanted to know everything. I retold the entire Sebastian situation and when I was done I realised that nothing was going to slide past her. 

"Something is going on, isn't it?" she asked me. 

I just nervously rubbed the back of my neck at her question. 

"What makes you say that?" I asked. 

"Haven," Cecily said. 

"Cecily," I replied nonchalantly, "I could do with taking a walk." 

"Then let's take a walk. Kite forest?" she asked me. 

Whenever Cecily and I needed to discuss anything remotely important, the two of us tended to go for a walk in Kite forest. 

"Okay. Kite forest it is," I said, managing a small smile. 

 Cecily and I made our way out of my room and soon began to make our way towards the Kite forest. From the main castle, it was a reasonably long journey, but that just meant that it would provide us with plenty of time for conversation. 

"So, are you sure you're okay?" she asked me. 

I just exhaled with slight frustration at her question. 

"You know, everyone has been asking me that recently," I replied. 

"Well, it is a valid question," Cecily said. 

I knew that she was right but that didn't change the fact that I still felt anxious to talk about it. For someone who previously was so sure of themselves and had so much self-confidence, this new job at the empire, and Avery's presence, both had me frequently questioning myself.

"I don't know," I said, as we reached the woods. I narrowly avoided tripping over the roots of a tree. 

Cecily just turned to me with a sympathetic expression. 

"Is this because of the new job? If it is, you already know what I think. You're going to be incredible, Haven!" she told me. 

I smiled more genuinely this time around. It was always great to hear words in my favour, especially when my recent conversation with Avery had led to me having self doubt. 

"Thank you, Cecily, but it's not about that," I said. 

I then felt a little unsettled, as the worry that some wolves might emerge from the trees. After all, I wasn't any expert on wolves but the sun was starting to go down, turning the sky to the colour of flames. 

"Let's walk back. I'll explain then," I said. 

"Okay," Cecily agreed, with a hopeful tone of voice. 

The two of us continued to walk back to the castle, as the sun continued to set on the horizon. 

I just wasn't sure how to word it, though, and before I could even get the opportunity to say a word, Xavier called out to the two of us to ask us to join him. 

"Actually we're-" I began to say, but Cecily spoke over me. 

"Okay!" she replied. 

I could really do with going on a nice vacation to the beach, maybe then all of my concerns would fade away. 

I pushed that thought out of my mind as Cecily and I approached Xavier. He was brushing through the horse's hair. 

"I'm just making sure that all the horses are nice and comfortable before I head home for the night!" he explained.