Her Favorite Lips

“Bear!” Nadech is wiping the leaves of their plant babies when Yaya calls out for him from the living room. Right away, he places the cloth on the table as his footsteps ascend towards his awaiting baby.

“Yes? Does my girl need anything?” He answers, drying the sweat that formed on his forehead using the back of his hand. Little do they know, her father overhears what he just called her and is now fighting off his smile. His baby girl’s someone else’s girl now, he knows.

“Come,” she pats the sofa, giving him the signal to sit next to her. “Daddy wants to talk to you.” Wrapping her arms around his, she rests her head on his shoulder as they both look on the screen of her iPad, where a smiling Daddy Sig greets them.

“Hey, Barry,”

“Hello, Dad. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Well, before anything else, Ya, my princess, can you give us a moment?” Daddy Sig asks. Her response is a pout, wondering why the hell does she need to leave the men of her life alone.

Yaya eyes Nadech suspiciously, then her father on the screen. “you two are hiding something from me, aren’t you?” Shifting her gaze from her Daddy to Barry, she notices the way he blinks rapidly, his ears turning red—the signs his body involuntarily shows whenever he’s lying or keeping a secret.

“Why would you think so? I have nothing to hide from you.” Nadech wills his body to listen to his command. He tries to steady his composure, slowing his blinking so he won’t be busted. If this discussion gets out of hand, he’s afraid he might spill his future plans and that will ruin everything.

“You’ve got a point. But can’t I really stay?” she pleads.

“Baby, we should never disobey your dad.” He lowers his voice when he says that endearment. In fact, the whole country knows that he calls her that. But Sigurd Sperbund, her own father, hearing it himself? It’s nerve-wracking for Nadech.

“Fine, I’ll leave you two alone, then,” she huffs out a breath. Before rising up to leave, she pouts her lips at Nadech. In that moment, only he and God knows how much effort he exerts just to ignore every single drop of temptation urging him to kiss her.

“We’ll keep it short. I promise,” Daddy Sig reassures, knowing how his daughter could easily sulk once she isn’t given the attention she wants.

Yaya pushes herself off of the couch. Grabbing her book from the center table, she makes her way to the other sofa opposite to where he’s sitting.

She acts to be very concentrated on what she’s reading, hoping he wouldn’t notice that she’s actually eavesdropping to their conversation.

“So,” Barry starts.

“You’ve surely heard about Yaya’s plans to fly and stay here for two weeks, right?”

He nods.

“Will you be available on those dates, too?” Daddy Sig’s voice is full of hope that he can’t say no.

His schedule is tightly packed, yes. And for his free days next week, he had already made plans with his cousin and his friend to go to Germany.

He swallows an invisible lump.

“I’ll see what I can do,” he says. He doesn’t want to agree yet for he can’t afford to give her father false hope.

“Come on, give this to this old man. I miss my son in Thailand, too, you know. Not just my daughter and my wife.”

His ears start to redden.

“All right, Dad. No matter what it takes, I’ll plead my manager to give me a month break.”