December 17

December 17: “Mycroft’s girlfriend.” (from Ennui Enigma)

---

A/N: I tried to keep Mycroft as IC as possible, but I may have stretched it a little bit.

---

When I received a telegram from my dear brother Mycroft, summoning me urgently to the Diogenes Club, I had expected him to have found an interesting case, not a lady friend!

When Mycroft and I arrived in a room in the club where conversation was allowed, he was the first to speak.

“Do you remember that day eight years ago, when you told me I would never find a woman willing to put up with me and my strange habits?”

“I don’t recall ever saying such a thing to you, but I have thought similar things on occasion,” I replied dryly.

“Well, I have found one.”

“Found what?” My brain couldn’t quite register what my brother was saying.

“A lady friend.” He grinned broadly.

Good heavens! What has gotten into him?!

“I see…” was all I could manage.

“She is wonderful, Sherlock.”

“Well…that is good…”

“And she is very pretty, in her own way.”

“Er…yes…”

“She is an amazing cook.”

“That sounds…nice…”

“Her name is Henrietta. Such a lovely name, don’t you think?”

“Yes, er, very lovely…”

“I think I’ve fallen in love.”

“I—well, er…congratulations?”

“Thank you.”

There was a long silence.

“Well, it was good talking to you Sherlock.”

“And you as well.” I replied uncertainly.

I have had a great deal of strange and unexpected conversations in my lifetime, but I do believe this was the strangest and most unexpected of the lot.