Wouldn't be the same

Guess who's finally writing her requests! Kingstily for MissEurovision ♥️
This is genuinely so bad whoops.

"Kingston!" Piper says, breathlessly, as she sees them. Finn nudges his friend but he's already looking up at her, a concerned expression on his face. "Lily…I tried to help her but they were all crowding around her and it's like they know everything and I just needed to get out because-"
Finn cuts her off by standing up and wrapping his arms around her tightly, just for a few seconds. Kingston notices her visibly relax at his touch. He pulls away, a question in his eyes, and she answers by nodding.
"What happened to Lily?" Piper tenses a little at the urgency in his voice, but he needs to know. He needs her to be okay.
"The press." The brunette says by way of explanation, "We were in the plaza: Lily, Kenzie, Amy, Summer, and I. We were just hanging out, and a tonne of other contestants were too. But then these reporters starting asking all these questions, and they would try and separate us by going around in circles. And it's like they have…cameras or something because they seem to know us all. They were harrasing Lily about Miss Angela and I was trying to get to her, but then all these reporters came up to me and started asking about my anxiety and I just freaked out and ran. I'm sorry."

Kingston feels a burning sensation arise in his chest. He's angry. The press had no right. They had no right to do that to her. There was one thing Lily was most insecure about and  it was her past. And he's mad for the rest of his teammates too.
"Are you okay?" Finn says gently to his girlfriend.
"Yes." She turns back to him, "Kingston, I'm sorry-"
"Don't be. It's not your fault." It's not supposed to sound so threatening. But that's how if comes out.

"So, our sources tell us that you are Miss Angela's daughter -"
"Miss Angela is notoriously known for being a schemer in the dance-"
"Are you a cheater too?"
"Why are you really with the Next Step?"

A dozen microphones and recorders are shoved in her direction. She feels overwhelmed. She searches desperately for a way out, and her eyes find Piper's. The shorter girl tries to weave her way towards her, but more reporters flock to her, like swans. Swans may be  delicate on the outside, but they are surprisingly aggressive. Her mum always told her that's what she should aspire to be. She notices Piper's face pale and looks down to see her scratching at her hands. Lily panicks. She doesn't want her friend to have an anxiety attack in front of everyone. She watches as she pushes past the suited people and runs backwards through the double doors in a frenzy. She's a little hurt that she left her alone, but she's glad she got out.
"Lily, that's right?" The reporter's voice snaps her focus back to them. "How would you like to respond?"
"Do you have a statement?" Another woman asks.
"I," She's at a loss for words. How do these reporters know so much about her? Why were they judging her when they didn't know the whole story? She bites her lip and interlocks her fingers. She'd done that ever since she was little, whenever she was upset or distressed. Her Dad had taught it to her. 'It's like I'm holding your hand.' He'd said. She missed him so much.

"Lily!" Her worry instantly lifts a little at the sound of his voice.

He sees her as soon as he enters the plaza. Several reporters in coal black suits swarm her like bees. He observes her one hand holding the other and recognises that she's not good. It's something he had picked up on without even realising. She'd done it at regionals, as their troupe left, disqualified. She'd done it when her mum had told them that they couldn't be together and when she was in anticipation of the Dancemania audition results.
"Lily!" He calls across the room. Many heads turn to him. She holds his gaze for a second and her eyes read 'help.'  That's when he really snaps. He doesn't care that people are looking because she needs him, and whilst he might not always say it and they don't always act serious, she was truly important to him and seeing her like this, vulnerable and despairing, hurt. He races across the plaza.

He's finally standing next to her, and he feels her hand slide into his immediately. He starts pulling her away, but is stopped by a hand on his shoulder.

"Hi, I'm Lucy, I'm with the Chicago Dance Association, you're on the Next Step team too, right?" A mousy woman with a clipped, brown bob inquires. He wants to tell her where she can go, but he's now representing his team, so he plasters on a smile. But his hand doesn't leave hers.
"Yes, I'm Kingston, lovely to meet you, but we have to-"
"I see you two are quite close." She persists anyway. "Kingston, aren't you concerned at all about Lily's checkered past?"

Lily looks down at the ground, ashamedly. She drops his hand but he reaches for hers again. He decides to set the record straight once and for all.

"No, Lucy, I am not." He takes the microphone from her and speaks confidently, "Lily is not accountable for her mum's actions, and her mum has in fact redeemed herself. She is  an incredible dancer and she cares about this team more than even she knows. She is hilarious, and smart, and kind and our team wouldn't be the same without her."

The reporter looks sheepish and apologetic, but the reaction that he's waiting for is hers as she looks up again. He puts an arm around her as a small smile forms on her lips and the corners of her eyes crease.

You know you're amazing, right?

Thank you with my whole heart for reading x