#5. Love me like you do- OS(16+)

She had barely managed to stumble past the threshold of doorway when her ankle twisted  and she slipped onto the floor.

Her head was reeling. No longer could she maintain her rationality. Her sanity had splintered away. Once again. And once again HE was the one to be blamed.

Had she spent the past 8 years in naught?!What exactly was her goal in life?

Prerna snorted looking down at the blue suit draped on her body. This professionalism had proved to be but a garb.

Should she be happy? Amused perhaps! Or maybe, simply wallow in resignation that life seemed to throwing her way at every damn step she would start rejoicing. She felt hollow though. Numb to the bone. It was ugly lonely. She had after all spent her life clinging to hopes, dreams, love and then revenge. Nothing remained now. She was drowning but she wanted to survive. She needed to hold on to something. To someone. To his comfort. His warmth.

Even the thought of his presence was calming. She needed him to stay rooted or this night, she was going to float away into oblivion. He never had been her rope to cling to. He had never protected her from the fall. He had simply been the rock, waiting at the bottom, just taking the brunt of the bruises with her. He was the only solution tonight.

Slowly, she pulled her body up, only numbness coursing through her. No, there was anxiety or was it anticipation that was starting to pound in her chest. Dragging her feet through the floor, mindful of the decorations scattered across, she finally caught hold of the banister and looked up the stairs, his voice already beckoning her.

“Priyu, you are back early!”

Prerna, though didn’t respond to her mother. She neither wanted to talk nor to smile.

“Mrs Bajaj?”

It was that deep soothing voice that broke into her haze as she turned her head towards him and saw the man dressed in night suit standing by her mother’s side.

Rishabh smiled at Prerna as she approached him. Her pace picked up, just like her heart rate.

“I’m thoroughly surprised that Basus allowed you to leave early!” Rishabh remarked, as Prerna finally came to stand in front of him, her unmoving eyes trained on his face.

Rishabh blinked, awaiting a response that never came. And in a matter of second, he was vaguely aware of the penetrating gaze she was casting on him, clearly unaware that Veena was watching. He studied her a beat more, her eyes absolutely unfathomable.

“Where is shivi, Priyu? Veena asked, trying to weasel out of the uncomfortable feeling that her daughter’s single handed attention on Mr. Bajaj had created.

Another lack of response made Rishabh alert. Something had definitely gone down in basu badi. But before he could raise his hands to cup her cheeks or something, Prerna moved, taking him by surprise. Both her arms draped around his waist  and clutched onto his back as she buried her face into the crook of his neck.

Rishabh stiffened. He had comforted her many a times but this hug was different. He could acutely feel her fingers digging into his back and the lack of distance between them, not to mention the obvious manner in which he was being sniffed.

And Veena was still standing there. Feeling like a deer caught in headlights, Rishabh tried to diffuse the situation by gently patting Prerna’s back.

“How about we talk back in the room?” Rishabh  suggested, but the only response he got was Prerna molding against him, her lips now effectively placed against his throbbing artery.