Chapter 2

Chapter 2
"Scarlet! Breakfast is ready!" Mum was making... Sniff sniff... Pancakes... Sniff sniff... Lemonade, and... Sniff... BACON!!

I opened my eyes wide. "Be right down, mum!" I tore the blanket off and I ran down the waxed wooden staircase.
When I got into the kitchen I took a deep breath in. "Let me guess..." Mum raised an eyebrow at me,

"You smelled the bacon."
I smiled.

"You're right."

Dad was sitting at the table and was drinking coffee.

"When you're mother and me were dating, almost every night we would meet at the alley, go to the movies, then we would... Come on honey, you could finish."

Mum smirked at him.

"Then we would go to a restaurant called L&K's bar and we would have breakfast for dinner."

I looked back at Dad.

"And your mother would always eat the bacon."

I laughed. Mum was only 36 years old and Dad was only 38 years old so they looked really young. I walked over to the founder and grabbed three pieces of bacon. While Mum wasn't looking I took another piece from the frying pan and shoved it into my mouth.

"Scarlet, you shouldn't eat that many pieces of bacon, you'll get fat."

I Raised an eyebrow and shoved another piece of bacon into my mouth.

"You mean like Aunt Karmen?"

Dad looked up from his coffee.
"Hey... She's my sister." Mum furrowed her eyebrows together while smiling.

I swallowed my bacon.

"And she's a real sausage." He smirked.

I laughed and looked at mum.

"Hey it's true," mum said while she bit into a piece of pancake.

I shoved my last two pieces of bacon into my mouth, and threw my plate away. "Hey Scarlet I have a list of groceries on the table can you pick them up this morning?" I said through a mouth of bacon,

"Sure." As I walked away, I heard mum talking about her party tonight with her friends. "And that beer! She buys the best kind." I stopped and put my hand over my mouth to muffle my laughter.

When I got into my room I shut the door and I locked it. When I got changed I wore short jean shorts and a tank top, with my favorite black sports bra. After I put my sneakers on, I went into my bathroom and looked into the mirror at my freckled face. I brush my long brown hair carefully so I won't make it knotted, and fixed it in a ponytail. I say,

"Mum, Dad, I'm leaving."

I heard mum clear her throat.

"Where are you off to?"

I responded, "I'm going to the grocery store."

I went out the front door and I approach my car. I looked around at my surroundings. I didn't see any sign of him... But I sensed he was there. I always sense it... When I'm sleeping, showering... Even this morning when I was eating with mum and dad.

The whole time dad was blabbing off about mom while they were dating, the only thing I could think about was the guy's face pressed against the window... Watching... Hearing... Planning.

I shook it out of my mind and I jumped into my ford truck. I turned the new smelling truck on as it made the vrooming sound. I suddenly felt someone watching me.

The feeling pricked my back neck hairs. I raced out of the driveway making the screeching sound as I drove away. I turned the music on in the car and I listened to the song toxic by Britney Spears. I was trying to get the feeling of being watched out of my mind. I still felt it. He felt close by.

When the song ended, another song played. It sang out, "I've been everywhere man looking for someone." I changed the station to a news reporting station.

"Prisoner William McTosh has just broken out of his jail cell. Police officers said to look him up on the internet for a picture of him and if anyone sees him, call 305-***-****."

Another reported talked.

"Yes Karen, and also do you know what he did to go to jail?"

The lady reporter talked again.

"He is said to be one of the most dangerous serial killers in five years. He has had 76 victims, and killed 53 of them. He actually got out four years ago from the jail in Colorado, But he is a master of disguise, and people have reported to see him here, in Chicago."

The male reporter sighed.

"That is terrible. Now guys, I have a favor for you. Right now, lock your doors, close your windows, and stay safe."

The lady reporter talked again, " Now.... You know what song is coming on!"

Immediately after that the radio blasted,
"Better lock them doors and turn them lights down low!!" I pounded on the steering wheel.

"Sh*t!"

There is a serial killer on the loose, and I have someone else to deal wi-......

Wait a second. This criminal got out four years ago, right when I was 12 when... Wait no... Could it? Was William McTosh after... Me? It all made sense.

"Damn it!"

Right then all my thoughts melted away as I felt a cool breeze on my neck. I looked into my rear view mirror only to see that the window was open and... A piece of black clothing was flying from it, and then it was gone.

I screamed, then swerved the car by accident, and caused massive beeping and honking at me.i looked out the window and I saw him... The black clothed figure not running, but just walking down the sidewalk.

"Oh Jesus," I prayed,

"Oh Lord in heaven... HELP MEE!!!"

I breathed in, then out... But I did not cry... That was my birthday vow.
As I remember my birthday vow, I remained calm for the rest of the way to the grocery store.