Chapter 10

I started to stroll down towards the River Lethe. Lee had given me a beautiful idea that would definitely help me decide whether to rebirth. It would help me think about the consequences and thought of seeing Piper again. I do know that I do go on quite a bit about Piper, but she was my life before I died. She was my best female friend (I don't really know if I can count Hera, or Juno as a friend, because she cursed and killed me ) and was really supportive of Leo, and for a while, she was my girlfriend. We were super close. And then we split up and things started getting awkward between us and then I went and got a prophecy that said that one of us would die if we both went after Caligula. So we went after Caligula and I just went and died. Apparently, though Piper was really distraught after I died and so maybe things were just on the mend for both of us, I guess I will never know because I am now dead. I am so lost in my train of thought, that I nearly fall into the River Lethe. Oopsie! I sit down on a tree log and start to think. The consequences of descending into the River Lethe. Well, I guess that is kind of obvious. I lose my memory and I remember nothing. I may not remember Piper though. Oops, did not think that one through, and now I am really thinking hard about whether I should do it or not. Or perhaps I could rebirth without going in? How would that be possible? How could I trick my uncle, Hades (or Pluto, depends on whether you are Greek or Roman)? Isn't it impossible? The best Percy could ever do was to attempt to bring his mother back. He got his mother back eventually, but that was because Hades(or Pluto depends on whether you are Greek or Roman) released her on purpose. And of course, Orpheus and Eurydice and their unfortunate story ended up with Hades (or Pluto depends on whether you are Greek or Roman) tricking them instead. So it is basically impossible to trick Hades (or Pluto, depends on whether you are Greek or Roman), and I am sure he would have some sort of test to check whether you remember yourself after you pass through the rebirth arch and (supposably) bathed in the River Lethe.
I thought for a bit longer. If I rebirthed, it might all be for nothing since I might not remember Piper. And she might not even remember me. I was already quite happy here - I didn't even need to rebirth to be happy. All my friends were here - I mean most of them. I had a nice big house with everything. And I could always just wait for Piper to come. But I really wanted to see her again,while she is alive, and the temptation was eating me up as if I was a little choc chip cookie. I really wanted to see her again - now. And I thought, "I don't even care! I don't care if I don't remember her anymore. I'll see her, and that's all that matters. I'm gonna rebirth." And then I nearly jumped into the River Lethe bit pulled myself back as I remembered what I was doing. I wasn't just going to rebirth like that, I had other things to consider. So I continued thinking. And thinking. And thinking. And thinking. Then, after around five hours of sitting by the River Lethe and nearly jumping in around twenty times, I decided that I would go home, and have some dinner, and think about it in around a week's time, for I was getting tired of wondering whether I had made a good decision and I just wanted to have a break.
So the weeks went on. I had a pretty nice time, really. I invited Luke to my house, and he invited around ten others, with my permission, and we had a little party. Well, when I say 'little', I kind of mean big. In fact, big is an understatement. We nearly exploded the place with our party! I mean literally. You see, I had nearly every single party, found myself staring at the Argo II photos and particularly at me and Piper. We took two photos a serious and smiley photo and a cute kissing photo. The smiley photo had me with my arm around Piper's neck and we were both smiling and really happy. And in the kissing one - well - you probably know what it looks like and I'm not going to go into too much detail because - well - you know. I really started to miss Piper after all that time and really started to think about my decision to rebirth. It was actually something I wanted to do for us but I was afraid about what would happen - would we even see each other again, let alone remember each other?
I started feeling really homesick then, and I asked the others at the party at my house one day about it, again. They seemed quite bored of the question now, but I didn't care.
"Guys, I'm actually, seriously, for real, definitely considering rebirthing now but I'm not sure what will happen. Should I? Or not? I really don't know. Please, can you help me? Like give me a yes or no answer, not 'you should consider it Jason, look at the River Lethe' or 'I don't know I've never rebirthed or had a girlfriend before'. Oh, and with the answer I kind of want reasoning too."
"That's really a lot to ask, mate!"
"Yeah I really don't know what you should do, please stop asking."
"Yeah."
"Okay, guys. I don't really know how you feel about me rebirthing - you clearly don't really think it is a big deal, like I do, so I mean I guess I should stop asking you now."
I was really getting a little - I mean a lot - mad at the guys now. I couldn't even ask them a question without them feeling annoyed and telling me to stop. I couldn't trust them anymore - I couldn't really trust anyone anymore. Except Piper. I really needed her now, and my heart began to ache again.
"Guys you should probably leave now, I'm not feeling too great."
The others looked quite stunned, but seeing my pale, heart - broken face, they agreed to leave me alone, and once they left, I started to cry again. Ever since I'd come here, I'd been happy, until now. I'd broken up with my best friends as well as Piper. I had nothing left.

After most of the parties were over, I would end up in bed, not sleeping just staring at the photo above my bed of me and Piper flying, basically across the world. The wind blowing in our faces, Piper closing her eyes, a big cheesy smile plastered across her face. Me clasping onto her torso, like she is the only person in the world that matters to me because apart from Thalia (who was most of the time travelling with Artemis' (or Diana, depends on whether you are Greek or Roman) Hunters), she was.
I really wanted to see her again, but I didn't even know if she'd remember me anymore. And that's when I realized that all of this chaos was all Piper's fault. If she hadn't deserted me, I wouldn't be like this. I wouldn't even have to be with these immature guys who didn't care about me. I wouldn't have no friends, my heart wouldn't be broken. But even after all this, I realized that I still really cared for Piper, and I didn't want to hate her.
Soon, I fell into a restless sleep, and dreamt of Piper being rude to me and immature like the other guys, and sleep - cried until the bed was soaked as if it had been in the pool.
I hate my life, I mean death.