The not-so-distant past

"Marlene McKinnon, Voldemort wiped out her entire family" Sirius' voice echoed in Harry's head, sending a shiver down his spine. Sirius had looked hurt when he was talking about Marlene, but Harry didn't think they were anything more than two people who worked together. Didn't think they were friends, or, more than friends. He chanced a glance up at the two of them, they were laughing and holding each other and trying not to fall down, it made Harry smile to see Sirius happy. It had been a while since he'd seen that smile, even when Sirius was alive.
They walked into a muggle pub and when Marlene and Sirius saw their friends they grabbed the trio and dragged them over to introduce them. The group were sitting around a coffee table on some couches, they all looked liked they had just been on the dance-floor and had only just sat down. They were laughing together without a care in the world, like there wasn't a war, no looming threat of death to destroy their happiness.
Harry saw his parents, Lily was siting down on the couch, while James sat next to her on the armrest. They were laughing and drinking and talking with the other 4 people around them.
Harry didn't know who the two girls were, but he recognised one of the boys as Remus Lupin and, it took him a second, but he figured the other one standing next to him was Pettigrew.
He felt angry. Pettigrew was right there. Right next to his parents. Laughing like he wouldn't be the cause of their death. He had no right to be happy, to laugh or smile. He should be in Azkaban, or dead. Not here partying with Harry's parents.
Hermione and Ron must've noticed him too because Hermione placed a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder, while Ron tensed up on the other side of him. Ron hated Pettigrew even more than Harry did. After all, you'd be pretty mad if your only pet turned out to be a human serial killer in disguise too. Hermione stopped them for a second.
"I know you're angry at him" she started "you have a right to be, both of you" she nodded at them both individually, "but Lily's probably not even pregnant yet" she took a glance at Harry's mother, who was sipping her champagne "which means Voldermort probably hasn't heard the prophecy yet, or suspects it's about the potters, which means" she says, putting emphasis on the last two words, "Pettigrew probably hasn't changed sides yet. Voldermort came to him after he heard the prophecy, probably thinking him the weakest, so if he hasn't heard the prophecy yet, there's no need for Pettigrew yet, right? Right now, that boy over there, is innocent."
Harry sighed, glancing over at Pettigrew. He had his arm loosely wrapped around Remus and was laughing at a joke Sirius had made, he looked... free. It was weird. He looked so young, only a little older than Harry, he looked innocent, like the last person in that group you would suspect of doing something so horrible. But, Hermione was, of course, right. He couldn't be mad at someone for a crime they haven't committed yet, even if he knew they were gonna do it. He looked up at Ron, who seemed conflicted, but nodded at Hermione, telling her he was on her side.
They looked up as Sirius called out to them, gesturing for them to come over and meet his friends. "Guys meet, uhh" "Harry" Harry supplied, remembering he never actually told Sirius his name. "Hermione" Hermione chimed in "Hermione Granger, I'm Harry's sister" she lied, Harry looked at her for a second, but then caught on. He couldn't go around telling his teenage parents his real last name, it was easier to pretend to be a muggle-born. "And I'm Ron, Ron Clearwater" Ron said, remembering the fake name Hermione always used. Hermione smiled at him softly at that, and Harry couldn't help but think they looked cute together, even if they got distracted by each other all the bloody time.
"Well I'm Lily, this is my boyfriend James, that over there is Remus and Peter, and the girls on the couch are Mary and Dorcas. Oh, and you've already met Marlene and Sirius" she said pointing at each of them in turn while they gave a wave or a smile.
"So, what are you guys doing just wandering the muggle streets?" Lily asked, noticing the wand Ron was absentmindedly spinning. Hermione answered, coming up with a lie quickly " we're not from around here, you see. We got a bit lost and lost track of time, by the time we found the entrance to the 'Leaky Cauldron', it had already closed"
"Well if you need a place to crash for the night you can stay at ours" James said, and Harry smiled. "Are you sure? We don't want to be too much trouble" Ron replied, tucking his wand into his back pocket, but Lily just laughed sweetly "oh it's nothing really, we have room, we'd be honoured to have you stay" she was so kind, they both were, and Harry tried to focus on the fact he was actually talking to his parents right now and not think about how dead they'll be in about two years.
After that, they all started talking together, the trio sat down on the floor in front of the others while their slightly drunk family told them stories of the not-so-distant past.