Hero?

We had a great laugh and avoided talking about anything which will bring us all down. We got back home at 4:30 pm, and everybody went to do their thing so I just went outside to make that important call I was attempting to make all day.

"9-1-1, what's your emergency?"

"Hello...My name is Julie and I'm calling to report my father."

"Alright, may we please have more information and perhaps about where you are right now?"

"At his house, he's not home. He should be back from work in about thirty minutes." I explain to them the whole situation and they immediately tell me that they'll be sending officers over. He also tells me to stick around the house and wait until they arrive.

They stayed with me on the phone until they arrived at the house. The officers parked their car at the end of the street. I guess it was a way of not making it suspicious that they were at my house? Because I did tell them that my dad shouldn't find out about this, till he gets arrested or they do something to him. Also, I thought that maybe if he saw their cars in the driveway, he wouldn't come home or something. When they go in, I bring them to the living room, where I offer them some tea and snacks, while we discuss the whole situation. They decide to call my step-siblings down as well to interview them. It feels weird, I mean, I never expected to be serving tea and snacks to cops; like that's new.

They all gave me puzzled looks, because they weren't sure what was going on, so I just smiled and said it'd be okay.

"Does your mother know about this?"

His question made me freeze. Just the mention of 'mother' made me remember my mum and it reminded me how much I missed her. I know they were talking about my step-mother and they weren't only talking to me, but I couldn't answer that. The words wouldn't come out, so my siblings answered for me.

Shoot. I totally forgot. What time does she get home?

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the smash of the front door. Their mum, dressed in a skirt and a light pink blouse walked into the living room with her purse on her shoulder.

"What's going on?"

"Hi there...we've got some guests, I hope you don't mind. This is Freddie and this is Carl."

"Guests? You mean policemen?"

"Mum don't be so rude!" Mikaela shouts and smirks at the guys.

"What's gotten in to you missy?" She snaps and hits her with her purse.

The two officers immediately get up to calm her down.

"You're not allowed to hit your daughter ma'am. Um, well also, have a seat and we'll explain the whole situation alright. Just calm down right now." Carl says and sits next to her, to make sure she doesn't do something silly.

"Shall we wait for him to get home? He should be here any minute." I say, but I'm interrupted by a loud noise. Well, here he comes, I guess.

"I'm home!" Another smash. Of course he is. From the living room, I see him taking his tie off and throwing it on the kitchen table. He puts his bag there as well and then walks over to the sink.

"Honey, are you home yet?"

"Yes, I'm in the living room."

When he walks in, he freezes when he sees the police and the kids and I smiling at him.

"Surprise." I say.

"Whaaaat's going on...?"

"I thought it'd be a nice surprise, you know." I add in, once again, terrified at what he'll do or say.