36

Chapter 36

"Dad?"

"Hello Evie," If I felt like collapsing few minutes ago when i saw my mom, now I felt like my soul has left my body. The eerie, cold freezing air hugged my body. I didn't believe my eyes. I couldn't even if I wanted to.

He took a step closer to me. I took a step back. Almost falling from how jelly and weak my legs were.

"Evie," He called me the nickname he used to call me when I was a little girl. I was blank. Empty. Confused.

"Mom, mom! What is going on?!" I turned my head to look at my mom on the side who was bawling. Her hair was a mess, her cheeks were swollen, her face was fully wet.

"Evie, calm down!"

"NO!" I refused to calm down and act like everything that has been handed to me at that time was normal. Just a normal family reunion. Because it wasn't. I hadn't seen my dad for years. Years of me and my brother growing up without a father. Believing that he had died while hunting. Believing that we were never going to see him again.

"Guards!" My dad yelled and instantly, two guards came and locked my arms behind me to keep me quiet and calm. Another guard was harsh and pushed me down on my knees. When I looked down that was when I realized I was crying. Silently. Tears were pouring down. I was overwhelmed.

I was happy and relief for a second.

Then I was confused the next second.

"Dad, why are you doing this? What is going on?" I begged on my knees. With my hand tied behind me. My mom was still mute. It was like she wasn't here. She looked scared. I didn't know of what. It couldn't be my dad. My dad was the sweetest human being on earth and they were in love. Madly in it.

I was confused on how my dad was alive. And how he was in Volkscreed.

My dad looked at me and laughed. He then walked past me and sat on the throne.

What? Why would he sat on the throne. Was he the king? He couldn't be. He wasn't born with royalty's blood. Plus we weren't from Volkscreed. I stopped crying. I was confused more than ever. My sadness was gone. It was replaced by confusion. Pure confusion. Questions after questions attacked my mind.

"Dad," I called him yet again. Asking for answers.

"Evie, where's your brother?" He looked at me directly. He didn't changed much. He looked, better. His hair was definitely longer but other than that, he looked the same. I miss him. I miss him dearly.

It was hurting me that his personality changed. He was being narcissistic.

"I don't know..." I lied. Not looking up. He knew me better. He raised me. He taught me everything I needed to know as a little girl. But somehow at that fragile moment, I didn't trust him. Not with every breath I took.

"Evie, didn't I teach you not to lie?" He smiled. His loving, nice smile. But something told me that behind that kind sunshine smile, there was a sadistic man.

"I'm going to ask you the same question again and this time, you have to look up and look directly to me okay, Evie?" My heart was aching. He knew. He knew that I couldn't lie to him. Not when his eyes were on me. Not under a man who raised me's gaze.

"Where is your brother?"

"Navaeh. He's in Navaeh, dad." After I answered, he turned his head to stare at my mom and he looked, hurt. Something about what I just said triggered something in him and he looked terribly hurt inside. But my answers were still unanswered.

He then called some of his knights and guards and told them something.

"Yes, Your Majesty." There and then I answered the first question. My dad was the new king of Volkscreed. And that answer just answered another bunch of questions but also opened up another bunch of questions.

My dad's knights attacked our village.

My dad wants my villagers to pay taxes.

My dad's holding a grudge on someone from our village.

Why?

Why would he do such things to a place that hold a special place to him?

How?

How did he became a king?

While I was trying to figure out the questions and answers myself, the guards that were holding me down, picked me up harshly. I didn't know what my dad told them to do but I heard my mom's voice screaming asking them to let me go. I turned my head to look at my dad who was still sitting comfortably in his throne who was looking at me being dragged out of the great hall. He says nothing. He looked at me and so did I.

I guess I was too tired to react anymore.

Suddenly in a swift moment, my head hit the floor and I was out faster than the lightning.

++

"Hey! Wake up!" I was woken up with loud bangs on the dungeon's cell. I lifted my haid up from the ground. My head was pounding. It felt like something was grilling my brain. I took few minutes to adjust my eyes to the light.

I looked up and saw that one of the guard was standing in front of my cell.

"What happened?" I asked, hoping that he'd answer.

"You fainted." I furrowed my brows.

"How long was I out?" "A few hours. Dehydration." He answered, nonchalantly. He looked like he was forced to come to wake me up. I nodded and leaned my back on the wall.

"Here. The king wants you to fill up. He doesn't want you to faint again." That was when I realized he was holding a tray with food and water. I stood up and took the tray from the little horizontal space on the cell.

"Hey, can I ask something?" Before he walk away, I quickly decided to ask him that one burning question. He pursed his lips showing me his uneasiness. "Please," I begged and he nodded.

"How did my father becomes Volkscreed's king?" He looked up, looking quite shocked with my question or my choice of words. But I was waiting patiently for his answers.

Much to my dismay, he walked away without a word. I was too tired to scream and call him back nor I know his name. The question left unanswered and another million questions popped up in my mind. Why did my father treated me like this? If he was the king, was I the princess of Volkscreed? Why am I in a dungeon? Where is mom? What happened to Edmund?

I sat in the tiny hole silently, filling myself up and praying that the pounding goes away because I needed to figure out what was going on and how to get my answers.