1

"Eve stop. I can't run anymore." Edmund yelled. I looked back and saw that he stopped running and was leaning to a tree while gasping for air.

We've been running for at least 30 minutes non-stop now. I didn't really remember the map of the woods but I tried my hardest to remember bits and pieces of it. I used to follow our dad hunting when I was a little girl. When I was the only child.

Our father left when I was 9 and Edmund was only 5. He said he was going to hunt with his friends from another villages but days after days and weeks after weeks, he never came back. Mum raised us both by herself ever since.

"We need to find a place to rest, Ed. We need to walk a little more." He looked at me and nodded after a while. "Yeah."

A couple of weeks ago there were a few men that came to our village asking for money. Their new king wants us to pay a lot of taxes. I couldn't remember the kingdom's name. it was something that starts with the letter V.

The villagers kicked them out and said that our village are not ruled by any kingdom and that no one will pay the king any taxes because everything belongs to the villagers. The land, the plants, the houses and basically everything. Our village is a very small and has never been bothered by anyone. We did our own thing and plant our own food. But the men threatened us and said that they will be back.

We thought they were just trying to scare us off. I can't imagine what was going on back in our village. How my mum was doing and how my only friend, Ella was doing.

After about another 20 minutes of walking we stopped and sat under a tree. I was still wearing my nightgown and my legs were showing. I wasn't even wearing any shoes. I ran barefoot in the woods. I sighed and stretches my legs. I hope I didn't get any cramps tonight or tomorrow because honestly I don't even know where this Nevaeh Kingdom is.

I've heard about it. Sure I have. It was a big kingdom so it was impossible not to know about it. The king was powerful but kind to his people. Ella talked about the kingdom sometimes. She said she wish she lives in the kingdom or especially the castle and not have to work by planting vegetables anymore. That's where I met her. I worked with her.

"Do you even know where we're going?" Edmund said out of the blue after a long silence. I looked at him and scoffed. "Of course I know."

"Yeah right." He rolled his eyes. I chuckled lowly and sighed. "I don't even know how we got here Ed."

"I'm thirsty." He said. I was too. "Here let's see what mum gave us." I opened the bag and saw a bottle of water, some money, fruits that probably can't last us a day out in the woods and an envelope. I guess it was a letter. The name "W. Farrington" was written on the envelope.

"Who is he anyway?" I asked white looking at the envelope. I wasn't going to open it. It was their privacy. Plus it was glued anyway.

"I don't know. I never knew mum knows someone from Nevaeh. What if he's the prince or better yet, the king? Are we being adopted?" He joked and looked at me with big eyes.

I smacked her arm and took the water bottle from his hand. "Shut up."

After 30 minutes or so we decided to continue walking before some on them decided to follow us or find us or even worse, gets darkened. I was wearing a night gown for goodness's sake. I didn't know what kind of impression I'll leave to this Farrington guy. I hoped he was just some villager that could give us protection until mum finds us and we get to be back to our village soon.

"Do you wanna wear my shoes? It looks like it hurts." Edmund said after a while. I wasn't hurting but only uncomfortable. "No it's fine. Thank you."

"What if we get lost..." I said. I was scared. I was only following the trail that was left on the ground. I couldn't force my brain to remember the paths in the woods anymore.

"I don't know Eve. But we have each other." He answered while trying to make me feel better. "...and a pair of shoes." He continued and laughed. "You're annoying." I laughed.

But our laughter didn't last long when we heard someone screamed

"Hey! You two over there! Stop where you are! Who are you and what are you doing in the territory of Nevaeh?!"