Boredom

*Set during isolation*

Joe was sat at his desk contently working on a new edit, humming a song that had been playing throughout the apartment.

Dianne was also sat on her laptop in the living room, but not happily. She was bored and wasn't getting any work completed which was frustrating her, but everytime she tried to do some editing, her mind wondered.

She thought about going on a walk, but it was too busy outside, she had already used her treadmill and she wasn't in the mood for baking, so she was bored out of her mind.

After pondering around the apartment a few times, she stopped outside Joe's office thinking if she should go in or not.

Listening through the door and hearing no sound, she concluded he wasn't in a meeting so she pushed the door open quietly, peering through the gap. Standing there for a few minutes watching Joe work continuously, she noticed him rolling his shoulders as of they hurt.

Because of this she stepped forward and placed her hands on his shoulders, keeping them there as he flinched, but started massaging them as he relaxed into his soft chair.

"Hi Dotty," Joe finally said after they had been in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, his eyes closed as he leant his head back on his chair as Dianne sat down on the chair next to him.

"Hi there Joesph," Dianne responded as she rested her head onto his shoulder whilst yawning, feeling tired as lockdown had messed up just about everyones sleeping schedule.

"What's up?" He asked as he scratched her scalp, yawning as well after seeing her yawn.

"I'm bored," Dianne said in a 'duh' tone as if it was obvious, yawning once more, "And tired."

"Do you wanna go and have a nap?" Joe asked, seeing it was only 4PM, not too late for a nap.

"Hmmm noo, I have so much work to do and I wanna stay with you Joey." She said, though a nap did sound appealing.

"What work do you need to do Dotty?"  He asked, wondering if he could he out in anyway as he was ahead of his work for once, all the time in isolation coming in handy.

"I havta edit 2 videos, film another one and I have a ton of emails to reply too," Dianne groaned burying her head into Joe chest wondering why she had so much time but was getting so little done.

"Is there a deadline for the videos?"

"Only one of them because it's an ad," she confirmed, yawning for what seemed the one hundredth time since she walked into the office.

"Okay," Joe thought for a second, "We could go have a small sleep, then you can edit that video after dinner, I can help if you need yeah?"

Dianne was quiet for a few moments, considering Joe's suggestion before nodding her head slightly, accepting Joe's hand in helping her up.

"Come on then Dot," he said as they walked up the stairs slowly.

~•~

About 45 minutes later, Joe woke up to an itching sensation all over his face, which was caused by Dianne's hair. Moving it away from his face, he tucked it all behind her ear without her stirring.

Joe moved himself away from his partner, replacing himself with a cushion, during all this Dianne didn't move at all proving how tired she was, all the early morning finally caught up with her.

He moved downstairs and started to look through the cupboards wondering what he could make for their dinner. Settling on an easy pasta with sauce, he scrolled through his phone whilst the pasta was cooking whilst leaning against the counter.

About half an hour later , as he was reading an Instagram post, he heard soft footsteps coming down the stairs, and looked up to see his girlfriend walking into the room rubbing her eyes. Her hair was messy and her makeup was smudged but Joe didn't care as he walked across towards her with his arms open. "Nice sleep my love?" He asked, not expecting much of a response as Dianne pushed her face into his chest.

"Hmpsh" she 'replied', but Joe could see she looked more refreshed and had a bit more colour in her cheeks.

"Were having pasta for dinner, ok love?" He questioned, rubbing her back as an attempt to keep her awake.

"Uhuh, not much though," Dianne mumbled almost inherently, her speech a lot slower than normal as she woke up properly.

"Alright Dot, do you wanna choose the TV programme then?" Joe suggested, mainly to keep her awake.

Dianne didn't answer, but looked up at Joe and kissed his cheek before slowly walking towards the sofa, pulling her hair into a messy bun, as Joe got back to the dinner.