Chapter 5: Trust

Raph's P.O.V:

12:00 pm

Arnold and I have finally hid from the Footbots chasing us. We've been running for an hour now. I'm fine, but Arnold isn't trained for situations like this, so he's tired. He's probably not gonna make it to Karai's place at this rate.

We're currently hiding in an empty dumpster. Arnold really didn't want to hide in here, but I made him anyway.

I decided to call Karai and tell her the situation. The phone rang for a few seconds. "Hello?" replied a female voice.

"Karai, it's Raphael," I answered.

"Raph? You're calling ME? That's new," chuckled Karai.

I rolled my eyes. It wasn't any secret that I didn't trust Karai. But for the sake of Arnold, she's my best chance.

"Do me a favor and cut the sarcastic attitude, okay? I need help protecting someone," I explained, "Casey's father."

I could hear Karai hum on the other side of the line. "Hey, who you talking to? Is it Karai?" whispered Arnold from beside me.

"Yes, now hush," I said.

"Why does Casey's father need protection? And why not go to the police or something?" inquired Karai.

I sighed, knowing that I was gonna hate my next few words. "Because I'm a mutant turtle, Karai. I can't just throw him down at a police station without getting caught. And I can't leave his side so he doesn't get jumped. As far as I know, you're the only human who has enough skills and experience to pull all that off."

Karai chuckled, "I'm flattered Raphael. Where are you right now?"

I sent Karai my location. "Alright, meet me here."

Karai sent me an address. "Got it."

I hung up the phone. "Alright Arnold, Karai might be able to help you. Let's go."

Arnold and I left the dumpster. I noticed next to us that there was a man hole cover. 'Huh,' I thought, 'I guess we could've just hid down there.'

"Wait!" I exclaimed, "That's it. We can use the sewers. The Foot will never be able to find us down there."

"The sewers?!" Arnold looked like he was about to barf.

"Oh come man the sewers aren't even that bad. All that stuff you hear from movies and whatnot is a lie," I asserted.

"Are you sure?" asked Arnold.

I could tell he was still skeptical. "Yes, I'm sure. It's safe and it's easier. So let's go."

I lifted up the manhole cover and he climbed down first. I heard him yell, "Ew! It is disgusting down here!"

I laughed and whispered to myself, "I know."

-----------------

12:05 pm

As Arnold and I were walking through the sewers, Arnold decided to talk for a bit. "So...how'd ya become, ya know, a turtle?"

"I was mutated when I was a baby by a substance called mutagen," I began.

Arnold cut me off, "Okay you already lost me."

"Just... listen. I was mutated into what I am now and I spent a lot of my years hiding in these sewers. That's why we're going through them because I know we're safe."

Arnold asked another question, "What about your parents?"

"I don't have any," I snapped, "Not anymore."