Chapter 1 "Welcome to Sodor"

The sun shined onto the engines of Sodor as they did their jobs. Henry puffed along the rails, pulling the flying kipper to the main land. He passed Thomas who was waiting for the signal to turn green.

"Good morning, Thomas! Beautiful day, isn't it?" Henry said, as he stopped.

"It is, Henry. Just look at flowers. They're beautiful." Said Thomas. The signal turned green and Thomas blew his whistle. "Well, I better get going. Sir Topham Hatt is going on vacation soon and I need to get Mr. Conductor." He puffed away and went down the line.

At the station, Gordon was growing impatient. Thomas should've been at the station by the time Gordon got there.

"Five, six, seven, eight..." Counted Gordon, knowing how long it would take Thomas to get there.

Finally, Thomas arrived, who heard Gordon counting to twenty. "Practicing your numbers, Gordon. That's a really good engine."

Gordon huffed. "Yeah, right. I was counting how many seconds late you are, Thomas." He said, blowing a puff of steam from his funnel. Gordon looked at the sign Thomas had stopped next to. "Now, what does that sign say?"

Thomas looked at the sign and started to read it aloud. "Sodor Railway, really reliable and right on time." Gordon scoffed. "Signed, head of the railway - Sir Topham Hatt."

"And you weren't on time, little Thomas." Gordon said.

Thomas chuckled. "And you're being bossy, Gordon." Gordon scoffed. "Now, please excuse me. I'm meeting Mr. Conductor. He's looking after us while Sir Topham Hatt takes a much needed holiday."

"Well, I think we can take care of ourselves." Said Gordon. He blew his whistle and started moving. "Get your head out of the clouds and be useful, Thomas." Gordon puffed away, leaving Thomas all alone at the station.

"Don't listen to him, Thomas." Said Annie, one of Thomas's coaches. "He's just jealous that you get to pick up Mr. Conductor and he doesn't."

Thomas chuckled. "You're right. Now, let's keep going. These passengers aren't getting anywhere with us just sitting here." He said. Thomas was about to blow his whistle, when he heard the hum of a diesel. "Do you hear that?"

"I do. But, who could be coming down this line?" Clarabel said. Suddenly, a big diesel with a claw rushed by, making dust fly everywhere. "My goodness! Who was that?"

"Get out of my way!" Yelled the diesel. "I have unfinished business here and I wanna finish it fast!"

Thomas groaned. "Oh no. I forgot. Sir Topham Hatt going on a vacation means being stuck with Diesel 10." He sighed. "Well, Mr. Conductor will take care of him. Come on, you two. Let's go." Thomas puffed away, covered in dust.

Far away from the Island of Sodor, there was another land filled with flowers and peace known as Shining Time. This is where Mr. Conductor lived. People coming on and off the trains whenever they were visiting or leaving Shining Time.

Mr. Conductor was small, so he lived in a painted conductor house in the station. Everyone knew he lived there and would visit him sometimes.

Mr. Conductor came out of his home with a cloud of glittering gold sparkles. This is why Mr. Conductor was so important, he had a magical substance in his whistle known as gold dust.

"Good morning, Stacey." Said Mr. Conductor.

Stacey was the manager of Shining Time station. She made sure everything was right on schedule and right on time. "Good morning, Mr. C. How was your night?"

"Oh, absolutely splendid. I have everything I need to go to the Island of Sodor." Mr. Conductor said.

"My goodness, is it really that time again? I could've sworn you went to Sodor a year ago." Stacey said.

Mr. Conductor chuckled. "Well, yeah. But, that was for a get together with Sir Topham Hatt and his family." He checked his watch and gasped. "Oh, snap! I'm late. I have to get going. Sodor can't run on its own, you know."

"Well, all right. Say hello to Thomas for me." Stacey said as Mr. Conductor blew into his whistle and disappeared in a cloud of gold dust.

Back on Sodor, Thomas puffed down the line. He was worried about Mr. Conductor. He knew that Mr. C could only travel to Sodor by gold dust.

"Mr. Conductor! Where are you?" Thomas asked. No one answered. "I know he travels here by using his sparkle, but he should have been here by now."

Up ahead, Thomas saw a cloud of sparkles near a signal house and smiled. "Mr. Conductor! You're here."

"Hi, Thomas. How have you been?" Mr. Conductor asked. "I hope you haven't been causing trouble and delay."

"Nope. Everything is just fine. At least it was until Diesel 10 got here." Thomas said. He sadly looked away from Mr. Conductor and sighed. "Anyway, I'll get you to Knapford Station to get your instructions from Sir Topham Hatt."

Mr. Conductor knew something was wrong. Anytime he would visit Sodor, everyone would be happy and cheerful. But, Thomas wasn't. "Is something wrong?"

Thomas let out a weesh of steam. "Yeah."

"Do you want to talk about it on the way to Knapford?" Mr. Conductor asked. Thomas smiled sadly and Mr. Conductor hopped on. "And don't worry, Thomas. I'll make sure Diesel 10 gets to work."

"Alright." Thomas said and started puffing down the rails. "Well, you see, Gordon said I'm not being useful. But, I am. There's just so much to do and I can't handle it all at once. Especially if Diesel 10's now here."

"Well, let me tell you something." Mr. Conductor said. "I'll talk to Gordon and ask why he said that. You don't deserve to be treated like that, Thomas. You are useful and always will be."

"You sure?" Thomas asked.

"I'm sure, Thomas. Now, let's get me to Knapford so I can get my orders from Sir Topham Hatt." Mr. Conductor said. He blew Thomas's whistle and they went on their way to Knapford.