Chapter 10 "The Magic Railroad"

Later that night, Thomas and James were coupled up to the mail cars. They were ready to take the mail, and to find where the buffers lead to.

"Okay, what's the plan?" James asked.

"Okay, we take the mail to the three stations and then we check out the buffers." Thomas said. "But we have to avoid Diesel. Where is he usually?"

"Next to the Search and Rescue Center. He's been hiding there with Arry and Bert." James said. He looked around and made sure no diesels were around. "Okay, let's go. Diesel makes Arry and Bert patrol the lines."

It was dark and scary as the two engines puffed down the track. The trees looked dismembered and mangled as their branches creaked and groaned.

Ethan shivered. "I don't like it out here, Thomas. It reminds me of the night I became a werewolf." He said. A chill ran down his spine, making his ears and tail appear. "Uh… Does anyone else have a feeling that we're being watched?"

"Same. I can feel something watching us." Lily said, shivering. She looked at the trees. In them, she saw something rise from behind. "Uh, Thomas, I think we should go faster!"

Suddenly, Thomas and James heard the hum of a diesel. It sounded close, really close. The two engines stopped right dead smack in the middle of the line.

Thomas listened as the humming got closer to him and James. He looked to his right, then to his left. Suddenly, Diesel 10 popped out of the shadows.

"Hello, scrap engines!" Laughed Diesel.

Thomas and James rushed away! They had to get away from Diesel 10 before he could stop them. Their wheels spun faster and faster as they rushed up one hill and rattled down the next.

Ethan looked out the cab window. Diesel 10 cackled as his claw clashed shut. Ethan yelped. "Thomas, we have to go faster!"

"I'm going as fast as I can!" Thomas cried. He saw a signal box up ahead. He gasped. "James, blow your whistle as loud as you can!"

Ethan squinted at the signal box, the lights were off! "No, don't! No one's there!" He looked back at Diesel 10 and sighed. "Okay, Thomas, what I'm about to do is crazy!"

"What are you going to do?" Asked Thomas. Suddenly, he heard his cab door open. "Ethan, don't you dare! You could get hurt!" But, Ethan didn't listen and climbed on top of Thomas' cab. "Ethan, get down!"

"I know what I'm doing, Thomas. Trust me!" Ethan called. He glared at Diesel 10, angrily. "Hey, metal brain!"

Diesel 10 growled. "What did you just call me?!"

Ethan then raised his hand high into the air. Sparks flew down his arm as his brown hair turned blue and white. "Hope you like lightning!" Ethan punched his fist forward. The lightning struck Diesel 10's side.

"Ha! That didn't work, now did it?" Diesel 10 smirked. He was almost caught up to James. Suddenly, he stuttered and screeched to a halt. "What the heck? What happened?"

"You sure that didn't work, Diesel 10? Cause it sure did!" Ethan called out to the diesel, and climbed back into Thomas' cab. "Bye, bye, Diesel!"

Diesel 10 groaned. "oh, grease and oil." He mumbled as he watched the two engines disappear into the night.

Thomas and James didn't stop until they reached the first station, Maithwaite. Thomas sighed in relief as he stopped at the platform. "What was that, Ethan? What did you do to Diesel 10?"

"I fried his generator. Diesel 10 won't be able to catch us now." Ethan said, smiling as his blue and white hair went back to being his natural color.