Chapter 5

*One week later*

As I arrived at the Rivera's, I regretted ever agreeing to come to the party in the first place.

I mean, yeah, I looked the part, being all dressed up in a sky-blue strapless high-low dress with silver heels. I had let my burgundy hair down in waves, and I was wearing silver hoops.

I mean, sure, I looked the part. But I just felt so out of place there.

"Hey, glad you could make it," Brianna called, strutting over to where I stood. "You look awesome."

"Thanks."

"Well, don't just stand there," she grabbed my arm. "Let's get to the party."

Okay, I know this is gonna sound really lame, but I had never actually been to a high school party before, so I had no clue what to expect. Looking around, I saw Mickey by the snack table, helping herself to some punch. Thank goodness, someone I can hang with.

"What up, girlfriend?" She spun around and her face lit up as she saw me.

"Rae! You made it! I'm so sorry I've been so out of sorts lately but I'm back now, for real." She held up a cup. "Want some? It's great."

I caught a whiff of something that didn't smell like ordinary fruit punch. I wrinkled my nose in distaste. "Nah, I'll pass. "

Mickey shrugged. "Okay. Your loss, though," she said, taking a sip. "Hey, I know you'd probably freak out, but I may have told Zach that-"

"You didn't." My heart sank.

"Yeah, I did, and I'm sorry. But don't sweat it, he totally wants to hang."

"You're kidding me, right?"

"Nope. And he said he'll talk to you tonight, so good luck with your new bae," she said winking at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Mickey, he's not bae yet, okay?"

"Whatever. I gotta go to the bathroom so, I'll catch you later." and she headed off, supposedly in the direction of the nearest restroom.

Just then, my phone beeped, indicating I had a text. It was my mom, reminding me of my 11 o'clock curfew. Then, it beeped again, and this time it was from Zach;

Z: Meet me in the backyard as soon as u figure out where it is. I'll be waiting ;)

Happiness like no other surged right through me. I quickly applied some cherry-flavored lip balm (I cannot stand lip gloss) and headed outside.

On getting to the patio, I heard two voices, but I didn't see anyone, I was completely unprepared for what I saw when I rounded the corner; none other than my so -called best friend making out with Zach.

"How could you?!"

They pulled apart, looking guilty as hell. Well, at least Zach looked guilty. Mickey looked like she had just won the lottery or something.

"Okay.. I'm gonna leave you girls alone," Zach said, cautiously backing away from us. I turned my attention back to Mickey, who looked real pissed. For no reason that I thought was valid.

"What?"

"Wait, so you're seriously asking, Mickey? What the hell was that?!"

She raised an eyebrow. "Oh, you mean Zach?" She smirked at me. "He's a lousy-ass kisser anyway."

"You know I like him. And you're basically the one who set us up. Why the hell would you kiss him?"

Mickey's smirk disappeared, and a cold glare replaced it. "Well, maybe you should have been a bit more trustworthy".

"Wait, what?" now I was confused.

"Oh please, don't act like you don't know", she snapped.

"I'm not acting. You for one know I'm a terrible actress. I actually have no idea what you're talking about".

"You swore you'd never tell a soul. It's all over school now!" Her eyes met mine with a deathly stare. "And of all people to tell, you told Alyssa".

My eyes widened as I realised what she was saying. "I swear, Mickey, I didn't tell a soul. How would you even think I'd tell the head Alphabitch that you slept with your step-brother?!"

I knew I was practically screaming, but at that moment I really didn't care.

"You know what? Dominique was right". Mickey narrowed her eyes at me. "You are an attention seeker".

"Is that your biggest concern now?"

"Well, it's not like you could make me believe otherwise."

"So you believe them more than you believe your best friend?"

"Well, considering the circumstances, yes I do!"

Well then.

"I guess you're not worth it then". I shrugged and was turning to leave when Mickey cracked. She pulled my hair, hard, making me bend over backwards. I grabbed at her skirt, then she let me go.

"So what was your point, huh?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "It's not like you have any pride left to lose".

That was a mistake. She shoved me so hard, and as I stumbled backwards, my heel slipped on some damp leaves that had fallen from a nearby tree. Mickey's shocked expression was the last thing I saw before losing consciousness.