Chapter Nine

I rested near a tree, catching my breath. I was running for what seemed hours. The sky was darkening and moon was in full sight. It was a full moon and it looked beautiful. I gazed at it, resting my head on the bark of the tree. It was rough but it was all I had.

The night creatures began to come out singing their usual songs, almost sending me to sleep. I peeked through my eyelashes only to close them again. I didn't know how long I feel asleep for but I was awakened to the sound of footsteps. I scanned the area in front of me, being that my vision was still sharper than usual, I didn't miss a speck.

The footsteps stopped and I made my breaths slower. The night was so quiet that almost anything could be heard if you listened carefully. For some weird reason, I wasn't scared at all. I snuggled closer to the tree when the footsteps began again.

They seemed to be getting louder and closer. I closed my eyes focusing on my surroundings, feeling the vibrations of the earth. It was odd since I wasn't able to do that before. Then again, I didn't have time to think about that.

"Hey, honey! We know you're out there!" a voice called. I labeled it as Max's. I tensed under the thought of him being so close. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to escape him as I did previously.

"Come out come out wherever you are!" he taunted. "Make it easier on yourself. Then maybe I won't consider killing you." I looked around me for an escape route I could take. But I didn't know where he was and I didn't want to fall into a trap.

Then suddenly the woods became dark for a moment. I looked up and realized that the moon was being blocked by huge clouds. I took that as my chance to run since he wouldn't be able to see me. I was running in complete darkness but strangely, I could see everything clearly. It didn't make any sense to me at all.

As I was about to dodge behind a tree, I felt a warm mass collide with me. I fell to the ground and immediately started to panic. I turned to look at my collider and as soon as I tried to run, he pinned me down.

"Where do you think you're going?" Max said, gripping me by my hair. "You know, I don't like you that much. I would have killed you now but my boss thinks you're very important to him at the moment. You have something he wants." He was smirking away.

"Get off me," I managed to squeak before he covered my mouth with his hand.

"Shhhh. I shouldn't allow you to speak. Not after what happened." I tried my best to get free but he was too strong. Where did all my strength go to? I looked at his neck and saw the stitches and a giant bandage wrapped around it. Hmmm... I will take that to my advantage soon.

"Let's go," he said and roughly pulled me from the ground. I struggled against his hold and protested when he began to drag me in the same direction we came from. The woods then became lit as the clouds moved away and gave the moon a chance to shine freely.

I felt something stir inside of me as I was being pulled against my will. It felt as if it was clawing at my insides to let go and eventually, it gave way. I didn't understand what was going on as Max suddenly let go of me with wide eyes. I gazed over myself and realized I was on four legs now and covered with golden blonde fur.

Let me take care of this, a voice said and from then on, I didn't remember anything.

***

"Is she alive?"

"Of course she's alive, you idiot. She's breathing."

"Some dead people breathe you know."

"Jeez, what fried your brain?"

"It's facts bro. Go look it up."

I opened my eyes to the voices around me and was immediately blinded by the glares of the light in the room.