Chapter Twenty

Song = Bravado - Lorde

I couldn't recall how long I'd been in that so called cage. I really didn't care, or maybe I thought I did. It wasn't a nice experience being cut off from the rest of the world, or your friends for that matter. I felt grumpy just sitting there, with nothing to do. I even envied the line of ants that passed near my feet... they seemed happy enough.

Damian had come down a few times after Liam's encounter with me. I never told him about, he seemed to have enough on his mind, including that little that I'd let into the house. I mean, we still didn't that the source came from him.

After a few minutes, I heard a stampede of feet coming down the stairs, which was new. I only had one visitor at a time, not a whole horde of them. It also surprised me when their faces came into view. It was both Damian and Liam with some muscular men marching in sync behind them with stoic faces, as if they were made of steel or robotic.

I stood from my sitting point, something didn't sit right.

"What's wrong?" I asked, wrapping my fingers around the bars before me.

"I told you the next time I came here, it won't be pretty," Liam growled, bearing his teeth at me. "Is there something you'd like to tell us?"

"What are you talking about?" I whimpered behind the bars. I'd acted upon instinct and cowered up on the wall. From the look of his anger, I didn't want to be anywhere near him.

"Oh stop the ignorant bullshit," he retorted, coming closer to my cell. "Damian," he turned abruptly. "She's a danger to my pack. I can't have her here."

"Liam please, I swear she didn't know. I'll keep an eye on her," Damian pleaded. Liam shook his head furiously and turned to face me with pure hatred in his eyes.

"Get rid of her, or I'll kill her myself," he spat before turning to go, leaving Damian standing there alone as the guards followed him up the stairs. He looked depressed, almost tired as he walked towards me with the keys clanking in his hands.

"Wha- what are you doing?" I stammered as he unlocked the cell door, standing aside, as if to invite me to walk out.

"Setting you free, what does it look like. These are for you." He pulled a long nylon bag from the corner and dumped some fresh clothes on the floor me. It consisted of a jumper and leggings along with socks and running shoes. Once I was done dressing, I quickly pulled my light curls into a loose ponytail before following him upstairs.

I was almost blinded by the light that flooded in from the glass windows as soon as we entered the living where the remaining members of our pack had gathered. No one seemed in their best moods, which had me rethinking my freedom. I had disregarded what Liam had yelled, since I'd already establish he didn't like me at all.

Maddie was sobbing loudly in Aiden's arms, which left me frowning.

"Maddie?" I called. But she didn't reply, she just kept on sobbing. "What's wrong with her?" I asked, looking around but everyone ignored me. It was almost as if I wasn't in the same room with them.

"Maddie," I called again, this time taking a step towards her, which I never got to complete because before I knew it, two bulky men had already latched their arms around me pulling me back. All of the members had already moved a feet away from me looking up with fearful eyes.

"See," I heard Liam say from the doorway. I snapped my head in his direction, growling ever so lightly. "I told you she was a danger to us."

"What are you talking about? I just want to know what's wrong with her," I yelled at him. He was getting on my nerves.

"Take her outside," he ordered and at once the guards began shoving me out the door. I struggled, or at least I tried to, but I couldn't even squirm from their strong grasp. Damian wasn't even on my defense, he just followed behind them like some damn dog.

"I think we'll stop here," Liam stated once we were in the midst of the forest that had made boundary around his land. Once the words had left his mouth, I was roughly shoved into the ground facing Liam.

"Now listen closely, it was my idea to kill you and just get it over with. But Damian pleaded with me for your life so I'm letting you free on one condition. You do not come back here, or ever try to make contact with anyone here or I will find you myself and I will kill you." He spoke each word with determination, especially 'kill'.

"Now run as fast as you can away from here, trust me, you'll survive." I looked to Damian for help, but he wasn't even looking. I'd never felt so rejected in my life. I slowly got up from the ground and dusted the dead leaves of my white jumper before walking away from them without looking back. I felt my eyes sting as the tears threatened to fall, but I didn't dare let them fall. They didn't deserve my tears.

I walked until I couldn't feel them in the distance anymore. What was the sense of looking back if they'd just turn their backs on me. I still didn't understand what danger I was, I mean I knew I was killing people at night, but all they had to do was keep me in the cage and no harm would be done.

At least they'd set me free during the day. It would have been worse during the night, I had no survival skills. I had enough time to find some safety before the moon showed itself in the night, which was probably hours away.

***

Don't forget to comment and vote!

A/N: Please read these others books by me

- Birds

- Parker Street

- Bad Chick