Chapter 1: Prologue

Every night was quiet for him. He had gotten used to the calmness that the darkness allowed. Not at first, but eventually he had made his peace with it.

He liked to have his desk tidy, his hands clean. It was mostly an impulsive thing if he was honest with himself, but he couldn't stop the urge to keep his hands clean all the time.

The thin light from his flashlight was the only thing that seemed to pour some light in these empty vast rooms. All he could hear was the sound of his footsteps and the beat of his heart. Every night. But not tonight.

A loud thump reached his ears. He was already alert. His blood was pumping. Instinctively, his right hand moved towards his gun that was placed in his belt. Maybe it was just the wind, he thought. Perhaps it knocked over a book or something. Mostly to calm himself. Nothing ever happens here anyway.

Except for the missing books. But that was none of his problems. Probably Miss Fortune, the librarian had messed up again. The young girl was still new to this job and probably in this line of work entirely.. He allowed himself to muse.

But if there was an intruder, he would have had a million places to hide in here. The large room was full of shelves and bookcases. Big desks were placed in the middle of the library. Peculiar artefacts behind glass. Masks, swords, mantles, wands. Anything you could imagine.

He walked slowly to the place where he assumed the sound had come from. He quickly noticed a fallen book. From where he stood, he could clearly spot some muddy footprints right next to it. Cold sweat started to drip from his forehead as he pulled the safety from his gun.

With steady movements, he followed the footprints until they suddenly came to a halt. How? Where could the intruder have possibly gone? Did he fly or something? His thoughts were still mixed up, when he heard a loud bang from the opposite direction.

He was quick to turn his head and run there. He could see the yellow circle from his flashlight jumping up and down as he ran as fast as he could.

Now the muddy footprints led him once again straight to his perp. There was no way out of this for him. He just didn't know it yet. He smiled as he sprinted across the room. He knew this place better than anyone and he chuckled at the thought of his perp being dumb enough to walk right into a dead end. He stopped. "There is no reason for this to turn into a violent night", he said raising his gun to point to the intruder's back.

He could see his blond hair, almost falling to his shoulders. The perp slowly lifted his hands up in the air. He was holding a large book in his right one. And on his other one, it seemed to him that he was wearing an exceptionally strange glove. It looked oddly familiar. The guard's attention quickly shifted to his worn out coat.

"Turn around. Slowly", the guard ordered the wannabe thief. And so he did. He squinted his blue eyes at the light of the flashlight blinding him. This is just a kid.. The man thought.

"Alright.. You got me.", the intruder said. He sounded way more cocky than the situation he was in, allowed him to be.

The guard came from behind to cuff him. THe sound of the cuffs wrapping around his wrists echoed in the giant room. He could feel the filth in the boy's hands. He even seemed malnurished. The guard couldn't help but wonder how the hell he managed to pull off this stunt. Having to bear with this filth against his skin made him wanna vomit. He preferred the cold metal of the handcuffs. Until that was all he was left with.

"Over here!", the boy said smiling while he sat on top of a book case. The guard looked at the handcuffs in his palms before he stumbled towards him.