Chapter 9: Election Fever

"So Ezreal do you like music? I do! What's your favourite colour? Mine's pink. I love pink! And.. ooh! Chocolate mooncakes! Do you like them? Do you want me to make you some? I'll make you some!".

The Battle Club was the only place that Ezreal couldn't shake Zoe off his shoulder. He was standing a few meters away from a target dummy but so far he hadn't manage to hit it with his gauntlet. He could generate some sparks but that was it. Professor Zed was talking to Kayn at the time but his eyes were focused on him. The boy could feel them etched in his back making him all the more nervous.

Apart from that he had a tail who wouldn't stop blabbing and jumping around every time they were breathing the same air. Every new try he made at the target was even more futile than the previous one. He was sweating and he had taken of his jacket, leaving him with his red vest and white tie. He could feel his hand sweating in the gauntlet but he wouldn't halt his practice.

"Zoe?", he said to the girl.

She immediately stopped talking and stared him in his eyes with anticipation.

"Can you plese be quiet for a second? I'm trying to practice", he said calmly and the girl obeyed blindly. He had tried to be as nice as possible to her but this whole thing was starting to exhaust him. At this point the girl wasn't even waiting for him to reply to her questions she was just talking to herself and without realising it.

Zoe and Kayn were waiting for him to pack his things outside of the classroom when Proffesor Zed approached him.

"You're thinking about it too much", he said.

"If you tell me to use my heart to activate my inner powers I'll laugh Professor I swear it", replied Ezreal with audacity. He was just too frustrated with himself. The group project deadline was only a moth away fast and he still hadn't managed to control his powers. He wouldn't let him his team carry him to victory and he wouldn't make a fool of himself in front of Sylas.

"Do yourself a favor and don't be a smartass to your teacher", said the Professor seriously. Ezreal swallowed hard.

"I just can't get the gauntlet to work the way I want it to. Maybe I'm not the right man for this job", he sighed.

"Do you have any idea how the gauntlet works"? Ezreal looked buffled and the older man continued. "The gauntlet is but a regulator. All it does is help release the user's mana in a way that's easier to control. You are the one who makes the gauntlet powerful. Not the other way around".

Kayn's blue strand of hair was shinning under the sun when Ezreal walked out. His friend sighed with relief when he saw him.

"Help", Kayn mouthed to him while Zoe was fake fighting him with her fists and laughing. All Kayn was doing was touching her head with his hand to keep her away. It was enough of a defence. Ezreal chuckled at the sight.

"Zoe I got to ask, how come you're not in Sorcery Club?", said Kayn while the three of them were walking together to the school cafeteria.

Zoe raised her shoulders and pouted her lips. That was adorable Ezreal had to admit.

"I guess I'm stronger than them and much more special", she laughed closing he eyes and touching her stomach. "I'm the aspect of Twilight after all".

"The aspect..?", Ezreal asked.

"Yeah basically I'm sort of like a goddess? The chosen one if you will? I don't know about immortality but I don't want to put that to the test just yet". The boys laughed and Zoe looked pleased with herself that she was the reason for that.

A week had passed since the announcement of the presidential elections and now the time had come for the students to vote. The school had set up a makeshift type of room with curtains around so the people wouldn't see what everyone voted for. Inside was a wooden box where people would put a piece of paper that they had written a candidate name.

Ezreal walked in and looked at the empty piece of paper in his hand and he sighed. "Lux Crownguard", he scribbled on his paper and put it inside the box.

Jayce had only been class president for two days yet that didn't stop his cockiness levels to reach an all time high. Plus, nobody had gotten any free gadgets. Fake promises. This guy was cut out to be a politician, thought Ezreal.

At the moment of the anouncement of the results, he could see Katarina rolling her eyes so hard that he thought they would stick to her skull. Perhaps she was right after all. The guy had all the red flags that would indicate he's just another superficial prick.

Despite the fact that Lux didn't win the election, she had gathered enough votes to become vice president and she looked content with just that.

"Congratulations. On the Vice Presidency I mean".

"Oh hi there", Lux replied when he spoke to her. She gave him a shy smile. "Thank you", she hesitated.

"Don't thank me I was just trying to seem nice", the boy replied.

"No. I mean.. Thank you for voting for me Ezreal".

"How could you tell? I may have voted for Neeko for all you know", he squinted his eyes at her.

"Ezreal. Not a lot of people voted for LUX Crownguard", she laughed. "I know it was you".

He felt his cheeks getting a bit hot but he wouldn't let go of his shallow confidence in front the girl he had his eye on.

"Okay, okay.. You got me there", he said raising his hands up dramatically. "I just voted for who I thought was the best for the position. Plus, I don't need any gadgets". He made her laugh so he continued. "You know you've been extremely hard to find these days".

"Uhm.. I know I've just been very busy with the Sorcery Club.. and the elections.. and I've been practising a lot.. I don't have much time on my hands.. I didn't do it on purpose I promise".

Not so sure about that.. Ezreal thought but said nothing.

"Well I have to go right now.. My brother is waiting for me to head home", she said most likely to escape the awkwardness of the conversation and turned to leave.

"Lux wait!", he shouted and the girl was facing him once again. "What if I need your help"?

"What about it?", she replied puzzled.

"In your statements.. you said you wouldn't turn anyone away if they needed help", he said .

"Alright.. What can I do for you then"?, she asked crossing her arms.

An announcement came from the shool speakers interrupting them: "Tickets for the winter festival will be sold starting tomorrow. All proceeds will be given to a good cause so bring friends.. and girlfriends.. whatever I don't care. They made me do it", Professor Graves voice sounded unimpressed as usual. "How are you supposed to turn this thing off?" A screeching sound made them cover their ears.

"Uhm.. the team", Ezreal said then paused to collect his thoughts. "We.. uhm.. we need to schedule a meeting to see everyone's progress and create a plan". That's what I wanted to say.. Why am I such a coward?

"That's actually a great idea. I'll speak with the others and get back to you. Is that alright?", she responded.

"Sure.. looking forward to it".

"Okay then see you tomorrow!", she walked off smiling. Her eyes glimmering.

But tomorrow never came.