Chapter 27: Spellthief

"Today's final battle is here, ladies and gentlemen! The battle to decide who will represent the Sorcery Club against Doran's Academy for the gifted! Two very powerful mages will compete for this spot! Morgana Apteros and Luxanna Crownguard!", the woman with the blond hair announced as the girls went up on stage.

While Lux's entire body was almost fully covered in armor Morgana was simply wearing a long, purple dress. Not the best attire for a fight, Ezreal thought. Morgana smiled at the audience and took a bow, slightly lifting her dress and Luxanna followed her lead, only with less grace.

A look of defeat was already in Lux's face despite the fact that the battle hadn't even started. The girls took their place on opposite sides of the stage while Principal Crownguard wished them both luck.

Ezreal saw Lux immediately casting a binding spell. Morgana didn't even try to dodge it as she snapped her fingers creating a nearly trasparent, purple shield around her entire body. The light had reached her shield but it was completely absorbed by it.

Lux grunted and gritted her teeth as a circle of light was heading towards Morgana Apteros from her staff.

The girl with the dark hair laughed mockingly.

"Is that all you got from me spellthief?", she shouted so the audience could hear her loud and clear.

She unleashed a dark bind that Luxanna managed to avoid by tumbling on the floor at the last second. The red haired girl seemed disoriented as the ground around her had become engulfed in purple flames. She instantly threw her baton away covering herself in a feint light before it returned to her hands where it always belonged.

Another light bind was cast and Morgana's shield was activated just in time to protect her.

"Armor is for those who are afraid of death. And that's a whole lot of armor spellthief", she said. "Remain!", she screamed as a dark bind landed on Lux holding her in place. Meanwhile, the tormented soil was weakening Luxanna as Morgana Apteros' darkness consumed her light.

The light mage shielded herself once again in an effort to reduce the damage she was taking.

"What do you know?", Morgana sniggered. "There's darkness in everyone. Even you. Lady Crownguard", she spatted out her last name as if it was a curse.

But the girl wouldn't give in to her opponent's remarks as she continued to shoot bolts of light against her.

Morgana closed her eyes blinded by her luminosity. Lux saw this as an opening. She was about to shoot her with her final spark when she felt shackles closing in around her wrists forcing her to drop her staff to the ground. The light mage tried to run away from her but Morgana was moving closer to her leaving her no room to escape from her chains' grasp.

"Look what you made me do spellthief!", she shouted in rage. The shackles started to feel tighter and tighter around her arms. She had to do something fast. Before she was unable to move entirely.

She closed her eyes for a moment and her baton started to levitate in front of her. It was being lifted higher and higher above Morgana's head as Lux desperately focused all of her mana in this act.

Ezreal gasped. He hadn't seen that before. His eyes were focused solely on the light mage's efforts. He bit his knuckles nervously. He hadn't realized how bad he was rooting for her up until this point.

Lux's baton had began to tremble and shake over their heads. Blinding rays of light filled the stage in the form of a circle. The protective rune barrier around the stage had blocked it from spreading towards the audience. Ezreal hadn't even noticed it before that.