Before Everything Else

*sorry for the wait! I've been getting ready for school! I'll try my best to update as much as possible!*

I woke up from my unexpected nap realizing that I was on the couch in Maudie's living room. I stretched to wake myself up some more and saw Maudie walking in with a book in her hand. 

"Welcome back to the land of the livin" She chuckled and sat down on the chair next to me. 

"I'm so sorry about that, I guess I didn't realize how tired I was. But thank you for letting me have a moment." 

"Haha You're welcome." She opened her book. "Do you need me to get you anything?"

I stood up and fixed my dress "Oh no I'll fetch it myself, you go on and read." I headed to the kitchen. "What are you reading anyways?" 

"It's called The Yearling, Atticus suggested I'd better read it before he does." 

"Oh? I heard about it but haven't gotten my hands on it yet, is it any good?" 

"So far." She closed the book admire its jacket and then opened it again. "I'm only a few chapters in. I could ask Atticus to keep it longer so you can read it too once I'm done if you'd like."

I reached for a glass and poured some water before returning to the room. "No I couldn't do that! It's his book and he hasn't had the chance to read it for himself yet, I'll just wait till he's done."

"Suite yourself. Say! Why don't you join our little group!" 

"Group?" 

Maudie shut the book quickly. "Yes! Me and Atticus have a book club that we made once we both found out we loved to read the devils. I suggest a book for him and he does the same for me. Oh Y/N you'd love it!"

I slowly sat back on the couch and took a sip of my water. "You sure that he wouldn't mind?" 

"Mind? By the way he looked at you earlier today, he'd be thrilled!" Maudie started giggling just like we used to at school. 

I hit her knee and gasped "Maudie! Be serious!"

"I am! Besides he'd probably love more suggestions. The man is constantly reading." We smile at each other. "We'll talk to him when he's back from work. In the meantime, let's get you settled in after I read a chapter or two."

A few hours passed. Me and Maudie spent the day touring her house and garden so I could get familiar with the place. She also helped me set up my room which was beside the front door. It was a very modest room with dried flowers pinned to the wall and a bookshelf waiting for me to fill. In the corner next to the window was a gorgeous off-white wrought iron bed frame with flower designs on it. Even though some of the paint was coming off, it was still beautiful. 

I was finishing up with my book shelf when I all of a sudden heard "One!" Chime. "Two!" Chime. "Three!" Chime.

I walked over to the window and saw Jem swinging on a tire swing on Atticus' front yard. 

"Maudie?" She comes around the corner drying her hands on a dish towel. "What is he doing?"

Maudie chuckled "Oh Jem? He does this everyday to count down to 5 o'clock." She started walking away. 

"What's at 5 o'clock?" She stood at the door frame, eyebrows raised, "Atticus comes home." I instantly felt butterflies in my stomach. I went back to my book shelf and finished up. I could still hear Jem counting down the chimes and then "Come on Scout it's 5 o'clock!!" I stood up and saw the both of them running down the street to greet their Pa. Sure enough Atticus came around the corner, Jem immediately took his briefcase. They seemed like that perfect family only found in books. I smiled to myself and finished my task.