Chapter 13

I came down to the basement to see Daisuke still looking at the monitors. "You're still here?" I asked and he looked at me. "Come here," he said. I walked over and joined him. "Look at this." I looked up at the monitor to see the video recording of the machine from that day. "Stop," said Daisuke and the video paused. "Zoom in."

"Where was this cartridge manufactured?" Daisuke asked."I cannot answer that," said HEUSC. "Then, who has been given authority to know that information?" "I cannot answer that." Eventually, Daisuke gave up. "Play," he said and resumed the video. "Are you researching something?" Suzue asked.

"When Vivi and I were locked up, how did you sense that we were in danger?" asked Daisuke. "A powerful radio jamming occurred and I lost sight of your location. That's when I became restless," she said. "Any contact from HEUSC?" "No. I believe the frequency that connects HEUSC back here also had some sort of interference. Is there something wrong?"

"No." Daisuke stood up from his seat. "Um, if there is anything that I may help you with..." "No need," he told her and walked off. I took his seat and looked up at the video. "You're having a tough time now, huh?" I said.

**********

Those who were involved in the case from that day were called down to the directors. "Senpai, it'll be all right!" said Shinnosuke. "But this is an inquiry," said Haru. "The incident was what is it was. But this is probably just a formality, right?" said Teppei. "That's right! Have a Tienguanyin Gummy!" Mahoro offered. "I had these sent all the way from Fujian Province! I heard that it brings you good luck."

Haru stared at the gummy in his hand before quickly eating it. Teppei smacked him on the shoulder to loosen him up. "Please cheer up!" said Mahoro. "Because we did what we could!" said Teppei. "That's right. We did something that First Division couldn't even do!" said Shinnosuke. "Even though I wasn't there, it wasn't entirely your fault, Haru-kun," I said.

"Thanks, everyone," said Haru. Then the door opened and a voice said, "Enter." We went inside and stood before the directors. "Now, you caused immense chaos during the investigation process, and on top of that, you allowed the suspect to die, and the truth remains shrouded in mystery," one of them said.

"First of all, we must clarify where the responsibility lies in this case." "Depending on the situation, it might not end with a simple pay cut." "Anything to say?" We all stayed silent when Teppei raised his hand and said, "We were taking a break as Inspector Kato instructed!" "We were!" Mahoro joined in and raised her hand too.

"I tried to stop him. I was ordered by Inspector Kato 'With me!' so I had no choice," said Shinnosuke. "Well, it's true that I said that, but..." I couldn't believe that we were calling him out one by one. "Inspector Kato, refrain from arbitrary comments," said one of the directors. "It's true that we allowed the suspect to die, but we did save the President's life," said Haru.

"That was the result of Officer Saeki communicating with the embassy's old janitor, no? You have nothing to do with it." Haru turned to Daisuke and I and said, "You can explain to them, too." I started to sweat. "Explain what?" Daisuke asked. "Vivi and I were off-duty, and we weren't involved with the mission."

"That is all. Punishment for Inspector Kato will be relayed at a later time. Now, Inspector Kato, you will have no part in this case from hereon."

**********

Haru leaned back in his seat and said, "All of you are so heartless." "Sorry," said Shinnosuke. "Don't worry!" said Mahoro. Then the phone rang and Haru picked up. "Hello, Modern Crimes. Yes. Yes. Understood." I looked at Daisuke who was busy looking at something with his sunglasses. "I'm going to head out for a bit," said Chosuke and left.