Chapter 17

"I'm going in," I said. "What?" Haru said. I used my toe to press a button inside my sneaker, giving me a burst of speed as I ran toward the enemy. "Hands off him, asshole!" I cried and punched him across the face, sending him flying. "V-Vivi..." Daisuke groaned. I helped him sit up and asked, "Are you okay?" "I missed you... so much..." he said and hugged me.

"Now's not the time to say that," I told him as I saw my opponent get up. "You there," I said and stood up. "You just kicked my boyfriend's ass, now you're gonna mess with the likes of me." "I thought we broke up..." Daisuke said sadly. "Ex-boyfriend," I corrected. "I take back what I said," he quickly added.

I watched him try to stand up. "I'll handle this," I told him. "Vivi, you can't win against him," he said. "I've been learning martial arts since the age of eight, I can do this," I said. My opponent charged at me and I said, "Here we go." Thanks to the sneakers, I was able to dodge his attacks easily and attack at a faster pace.

"What's wrong, tough guy? You're getting beaten by a little girl," I taunted as I kicked him across the face. All Daisuke could do was watch me beat up a grown man. "Vivi, watch out!" he warned. "Eh?" The enemy shot an electric laser at me and I quickly dodged it but my opponent found an opening and kicked me in the stomach.

I flew and landed on top of Daisuke. "Oof!" "Sorry..." I groaned as I struggled to get off him. I felt a painful sensation in my stomach and coughed up blood. Drops of it landed on Daisuke's face and his eyes widened. "Vivi!" he exclaimed. "I'm okay..." I said and wiped my mouth. "No, you're not! Stop pushing yourself!" he said and held me back.

"I don't want to lose you again..." he whispered and buried his face in my back. "Daisuke-kun..." Haru was looking extremely worried about me. I then looked up at the crane machine above, giving him the signal. I watched him run off. "Do it properly," I whispered before standing up. "Stay down, Vivi. I'll handle this by myself," said Daisuke.

"Counting on you then..." I said and fell back down. While Daisuke was busy fighting, I watched Haru climb into the crane machine and dropped a container near Daisuke's opponent. I quickly stood up, grabbed Daisuke, and ran off with him at top speed. "God damn it..." I hissed.

**********

"Hey, don't move," said Haru as he patched up Daisuke's arm. Daisuke then smacked Haru on the face with the back of his hand. "Hey!" I exclaimed. "That hurt," said Haru. "Why are you both here?" Daisuke asked. "We didn't come here to rescue you," I said. "We just came here to arrest the guy who did Cho-san in," said Haru. "Logically thinking, you should say thank you first."

"You should've been able to crush that guy underneath that shipping container,"  said Daisuke. "You're telling me I should've killed him?" Haru asked. "Before he kills us." "I'm just a civil servant."

**********

"It's no use," said Haru. "What's up?" I asked. "My phone isn't working." I reached into my for my phone and tried to turn it on. "Mine isn't working too," I said. "Does this have something to do with you not being able to use your..." Haru stopped talking as we heard footsteps. "Let's go," he said.

Daisuke took a few steps before wincing in pain. I caught him before he fell over. "Vivi... I..." he started. "Save it for later," I told him and put his arm around me to help him walk. "This way," said Haru as we followed him. "Where are we going?" I asked. "There was a lifeboat near the bridge. We're going to escape using that," he said.

I was about to go up the stairs when Daisuke stopped me. "What are you doing?" I asked. "I have to see Kambe Shigemaru," he said. "Give me a break already! You have to stay alive if you want to fight another day," said Haru.