Chapter 14

I woke up the next day to feel completely better. "Daisuke-kun..." I left my room and went into the spare room next door where he was sleeping. I snuggled up next to him and asked, "Are you awake?" He slowly opened his eyes and saw me. "Vivi? What are you doing here? Are you feeling better now?" he asked.

"I'm all better now, I didn't know you were sleeping here-" I said as he cut me off by kissing me passionately. "Hey, what was that for?" I asked and turned red. I could imagine little hearts floating around him. "Did you miss me that much?" I asked and he nodded. "Yeah, me too," I said and fluffed his hair. He hugged me tightly and said, "I love you, darling."

**********

Daisuke updated on what happened a few days ago while I was sick. "You hijacked the person's car just to get information out of her? I can't believe you," I said. "Footage before this has been deleted," said Suzue while we watched the security camera of the victim's car blowing up. "Surveillance camera footage for all routes leading to the parking lot based on their timestamp have been deleted."

Daisuke's phone rang and he picked up. "What?" he asked. "Why didn't you show up at Modern Crimes?" Haru asked. "Because there's no need for me to go," he replied. "Is there something you're hiding from us?" Haru asked. I slowly glanced at him. "What are you talking about?" said Daisuke. 

"You're behind Imura's car losing control, aren't you?" Pause. "Correct," said Daisuke before hanging up. "He's coming over now, right?" I said. "Of course he is," he said. A few minutes later, I heard a crash from outside. "He's here," I said. "I have to fix the goddamn gate now," he grumbled before going outside.

I followed after him to see Haru and Chosuke being targeted by security drones. "Property damages on top of unlawful entry," said Daisuke. "Then you can arrest us. You're a police officer after all," said Haru. Daisuke glanced at me and I heaved a sigh. "Haru-kun, you could've just knocked," I said and snapped my fingers, making the drones fly off.

"Tell me! What exactly are you after?" Haru asked. "You believe everything can be solved with money, and don't care about other people's feelings." I pointed at myself and raised an eyebrow. "Except for her," he corrected. "Thank you," I said. "But you don't willingly commit any crimes, either," he said.

The two men stared at each other before Daisuke said, "To learn the truth about my mother's death nineteen years ago. That's what I'm after. That case and Imura's death are linked."

**********

Daisuke and Chosuke were busy discussing things while Haru and I were playing with the cats. "You named a cat after me? How nice," he said. "Meow," said Catto and approached Haru. "Yes yes, you're a good kitty," Haru said and patted him. I noticed the cats getting pretty bored lately so I said, "Alright kitties, guess where I'm taking you." They both perked up.

"I'm taking you to Starbucks!" I said. "Meow!" they cried excitedly. "Vivi, my car is broken," said Haru. "Take my car then," I said. We picked up the cats and Daisuke asked, "Where are you guys going?" "Starbucks. Want anything?" I asked. "Coffee," he answered. "As usual," I said. Haru drove to the nearest Starbucks to get our drinks.

By the time we came back, we saw Daisuke and Chosuke taking out Takei from Daisuke's car. "Hold up," Haru and I said at the same time. We watched him being taken inside the house. "I think he's unconscious," I said as we got out of the car. "Come on kitties," said Haru as both cats followed after us.

"Daisuke-kun, what's going on?" I said. "Oh, Vivi. You're back," he said. "What did you do to him??!!" Haru exclaimed. "We found a lead." Haru and I were dumbstruck. "Are you saying that Chief's the lead to your mother's murder?" Haru asked. "Possibly. Meet us in the basement," Daisuke told us.

I placed our drinks on the dining table and the cats' little cups of whipped cream near their food bowls. "Drink up kitties," I said as they licked up the cream. Haru and I took the elevator to the basement to find Takei sitting on a bench prop with a huge machine shining light in his face. "What the..." he muttered and came to his senses.

"What you have been watching was a virtual world projected onto your retina," explained Suzue. Daisuke looked at the phone prop and said, "The one you called was the late Director Saiki." "No! This is-" "You married Director Saiki's daughter. You had ambition. That's not a bad thing at all. You need power to accomplish justice. That's an unmistakable fact," said Chosuke.

"That's not it! I simply..." "Were you able to become a father who you could be proud of?" Chosuke asked Takei as he sobbed quitely.

" "Were you able to become a father who you could be proud of?" Chosuke asked Takei as he sobbed quitely

What's going on right now?