Chapter 15

Basement...

"I'd completely assumed that the reason you came to our division was to protect the Kambe family. And the covering up for the terrorism at the embassy was your doing... I didn't think we were after the same thing," said Chosuke. "So both of you wanted to learn the truth behind Kambe Sayuri's death nineteen years ago," said Haru.

"It seemed there's this substance called adollium at the root of this case. But I have no idea what that is," said Chosuke. "What should we do with Takei-san?" asked Haru. "I don't think he knows about everything, but he should have more information we can draw out." "We'll do the interrogation here. I can't trust the police," said Daisuke. "But we are the police," I said.

**********

I came out of the shower to see Daisuke laying on the bed with the lamp on. He was looking at a photo of his family on the nightstand. "You okay?" I asked him. "Yeah, I'm fine," he said. I sat down on the bed when my phone beeped. I checked my phone and said, "My friends just sent me the cover of the magazine from Taiwan." Daisuke sat up and wrapped his arms around me from behind.

"Send it to me too, please," he said. "Alright, I gotcha," I said as I sent the photo to him and Haru. I put my phone down and noticed that Daisuke was clinging onto me. I think that something was bothering him. "Hey, look at me," I said and planted a kiss on his cheek. "It'll be alright," I told him. Daisuke turned me around and kissed me back before pulling the covers over our heads.

"Love you..." he muttered. "Love you too..." I replied.

**********

Chosuke and Haru had brought over a bunch of resources relating to the deaths of Daisuke's parents from Chosuke's locker from Modren Crimes. "The Third Laboratory. This is the institution that your dad was a part of," said Chosuke. "I presume this is where he met Kambe Sayuri, too. However, in the current organization chart, that name doesn't exist. I did a thorough investigation about this lab back then, but I never figured it out where it was located, let alone what it was researching. So, I'm leaving this end to you." And he left.

Haru, Daisuke, and I looked at each other. "Then Kambe, we can split up and-" "If there's anything you need, talk to my butler, Hattori," Daisuke cut him off before walking off. "Hold on a second," said Haru. "What?" "You're telling me to research this by myself?" "Is there something else you need to do?" Daisuke asked him before pulling me along. "I'm getting dragged along," I thought.

**********

We were back in the basement with Suzue at the control panel. "What was Kambe Shigemaru's role at the Third Laboratory?" asked Daisuke. "I cannot answer that," said HEUSC. Daisuke squinted before continuing, "Where was the Thrid Laboratory located?" "I cannot answer that." "Who was Kambe Sayuri's employer after she graduated from college?" "I cannot answer that."

"It refuses to answer any questions regarding your father and mother," said Suzue. "I don't care how trivial the findings are. Can you research both of them?" Daisuke asked. "As you wish," she said. Daisuke turned to me and said, "Let's go see my grandmother." We went over to Kikuko who was grinding matcha.

We sat down in front of her and Daisuke asked, "Do you know something by the name of adollium?" Kikuko said nothing. "Complications in their marriage led to Mother leaving the house, and Father, outraged by that, followed her and killed her. And suffering from his guilty conscience, he committed suicide. Are all these true?"

"You should forget these things already," Kikuko told him. "What about the Third Laboratory? Father and Mother were arguing over adollium. What in the world is adollium?" Daisuke asked. "You should not get involved with this any further," she warned him.