Twenty Third

The end of the week manifested into being, allowing people to take a short break from their daily responsibilities. Regardless, for the most part, the weekends always filled Elliot with a sense of uneasiness. These were the days where Dad unfailingly isolated himself in his room downstairs, emerging out only when lunch or dinner arrived. Meanwhile, Elliot would go over the same books, play the same games or even idling outside his room.

The dreaded routine that had been running for weeks ultimately broke apart after that one unforeseen moment last dinner.

Elliot started witnessing the frequent appearance of his father... and if anything, he showed up so often and did more unusual actions that weirded the heck out of his son.

During breakfast, the times where Dad just finished half of the bread and then wandered off, he was now eating most of it. There were certain occasions where he grunted, clenching his head and peering over to the fridge, but he affixed himself to his seat. Whenever Elliot gazed at Dad and he noticed, a subtle hint of color flickered across his eyes despite how faded and exhausted they were, while a fragile smile made its way through his face.

Dad's paying more attention to me now, but I'm still not used to him like this, though... Elliot tightened his mouth together. Mr. Zheng, what did you do to my dad?

Well, in the end, Dad retreated back to his favorite place, but this led Elliot to watch another strange change. The man silently beckoned his head at the pondering boy, as if he invited him to come along. At first, Elliot couldn't move an inch as hesitation took control of him, but the passing thought of accompanying Dad instead of doing nothing ultimately expelled the reluctance away.

Well, I guess it's good that Dad now wants me around... I can be with him the whole day and I won't get bored.

Elliot endeavored standing on his heels, but he managed to comfortably position his arms on the desk. With no comment, the boy observed the fleeting movements of Lawson's fingers as they punched the buttons on the keyboard, forming unfamiliar words on the computer screen. The boy studied all the paragraphs Dad typed in, but ended up scratching his head as he struggled relating the pieces together.

I can't understand anything... I guess being a scientist is so hard... Well, Dad's so awesome for that!

Elliot rested his head against his bed of arms, keeping his voice to a minimum. He had no intentions of distracting Dad, even when curiosity endlessly pestered him to initiate a conversation. Despite the wordless silence that unsuspectingly joined alongside them, the child beamed at the lovely sight.

Even if we don't talk much, at least Dad... he still wants me to be hanging around.

Lawson gingerly picked up a test tube, lifting it up as light shone through the contents. A sigh slipped out of him as he placed the apparatus down back to the rack, before he removed his glasses and rubbed the back of his neck. When he realized a pair of small hands resting beside him, he glanced over to the side, seeing his son innocently cocking his head, before he cracked up a broad grin.

For some reason, the young man couldn't resist the urge to ruffle his messy tuft of blonde hair, especially at the sight of his son's cowlick that stood out from among the rest. Temptations ran high, so Lawson ultimately decided to brush Elliot's tiny head momentarily before he resumed back with his research paper.

Elliot was slightly thrown aback at how his father's long gone habit suddenly resurfaced. It had been a while since Dad gave him head pats, and the fact that he was doing it earlier... warmed the boy's heart up as happiness instantly flooded his soul. With his clogged thoughts gone, Elliot inched closer towards Dad and gently planted his head against his body. Dad tightened up at the contact, but no kinds of protest were given.