Chapter 13: It Is What I'm Thinking?

"What happened?" He asked Ladidi, the matron.

"Her roommates said she started vomiting earlier on before she passed out. Poor girl, I heard she just lost her mother." Ladidi cried, taking another glance at humaira.

"Who told her that one again?" Humaira wondered. She never told anyone about her mum's death. It's no news that secrets spread like Corona virus. Especially in Amina's hostel.

Doctor Ibro took a close look. "What's the matter with you, Humaira?"

"My head aches and I feel pains all over... I'm feeling a bit feverish and I puked earlier."

"And how long have you been feeling these?"

"It's about three days now, I never thought it would be up to this. I only took parastermoI yesternight. I don't know why sir, but I think it's malaria." she answered still in pain.

"Okay,"  he replied, writing down her diagnosis in her medical file report.

"Don't worry, I'll have to examine you."  He checked her body temperature and took a sample of her blood with an injection.
"I'll have to carry out some test... but I'm in a hurry right now. It's a thirty minutes drive to my hospital and I've already received emergency calls from the nurses. By the way, you should check on me tomorrow for the results." He prescribed her some drugs and "Take a lot of water and  rest, okay?"

"Okay, thank you sir." Zayda and Khair chorused, taking their friend back to the hostel. Humairah just followed them behind.

Each hostel has a clinic so it wasn't far, just somewhere within the hostel compound.

As it was, Doctor Ibrahim worked in the school for almost ten years but established his own hospital five years ago, to keep himself busy and work after his retirement. He takes good care of his patients equally and hopes humaira would get better soon. He took the blood sample along to work on it personally in his laboratory. When they got back to the hostel, Humaira was asked to lie down...
"Nobody should disturb her o! Because I know you girls!!" Ladidi warned. Her mature voice echoed in the hostel.

The other girls that gathered her like ants around a piece of cake quietly disappeared. And this time, it was already 7:30 pm. Humaira went to perform ablution and prayed Magrub and Isha'. Everything seems awkward for a moment and she was thinking...

'What if I actually ate a frog? What if I'm pregnant with what that old man did? Audhubillahi minna shaytooni Rojim!' She cried in her thoughts.

Begging God for forgiveness and that what she was thinking shouldn't happen, else? She'll just kill herself.

The shame of living with a bastard child and studying at the age of 19 would be an unbearable disgrace.

The Next Day, 11:00 a.m.

It was a very hectic day for all students especially those in 100 level. Most times,  they have at least five to six lectures in a day,  Saturday included.  The only time to rest and study was Sundays. But today was a Tuesday.

It was an hour before the next lecturer comes in. It was professor Charles Ezechukwu,  the lecturer for General English Language, GEN 102. He always takes everything serious and when angered by the slightest mistake, everyone suffers for it. Prof. Charles is a 42 year old bachelor... He literally hates women, I mean he has that 'women are a waste of time syndrome.' He always talks in short sentences and, you dare not miss or come late into his class else? Your face would be the next big thing! He would ask you to come and explain his last lecture before the class. Next, he would throw to you least expected questions like Sambisa bombs and make sure you're well interrogated and... Disgraced.

That's what lecturers like Prof. Charles do. They call them, THE DISCIPLINARIANS in ABUSITE

***

Enjoy reading  and please, don't forget to press the tiny orange star ★ at the end of each chapter to notify me you've actually read it… So! What are we waiting for! Get ready for this story of family, adventure, mystery and plot twists.