Chapter 22: A Gang Visits

Meanwhile, Doctor Azeezah was preparing to leave for Canada with Zainab the next day. She had already packed all their baggage and was taking dinner when something unexpected happened.

Paaaw!

It was a gunshot from outside...

Later that day in the hotel…

“So you couldn’t even wake me up, Humaira!” Khair brought up immediately she entered.

“I didn’t remember, sorry.” Humaira replied in a low voice.

“Mtweeew! How would you ever remember? You always forget everything! Well, I don’t blame you. If not for the stupid alarm I set that didn’t ring…” She threw her bag at the edge of her bunk and laid down on her bed.

Humaira didn’t even bother herself to reply. She already knows the girls she is living with.

***

Later That Evening,

At Doctor Azeezah’s house, it was a couple minutes past 12:00 p.m when the gun shot started. The sound woke Doctor Azeezah up. She peeped through her transparent window. It was just inches away from the side of her window. She could easily stretch to check from her bed, so she could clearly see outside. It was in the mid-month of September, so the moon was bright in the dark sky. 

Doctor Azeezah caught the view of the gang of armed robbery shouting across the street. Outside, she saw the thieves leaving their neighbor’s compound and jumping over the fence, into their’s. They were very young boys of between 16-20 years of age.

‘Maybe they’re from this area.’ She thought fearfully.

They were seven of them, and they were already inside her compound.

Doctor Azeezah made silent prayers, reciting Ayatal Qurisiyy, not knowing what to do or who to call.

Where they live was an estate. It’s been years since she got married, but not once in her entire life have they robbed her… Not until now.

Doctor Azeezah is a very brave woman. But this very minute, her heart was racing inside of her like that of a hyena chasing after its prey.

She quickly came downstairs and was surprised to meet Zainab there already. It scared her to death. Immediately she saw Doctor Azeezah coming down, she ran towards her and threw a hug at her in relief.

“Is everything going to be alright?” Zainab sleepy voice muttered, already sensing the danger outside the building.

“Don’t worry Zee, everything would be fine by the Grace of God… Just come here.” Doctor Azeezah held her hands tight and ask her to keep praying.

The Doctor herself was so confused on what prayer to say or who to call. She quickly picked her phone, scrolling through the contacts. She saw ‘Mr. Alamu’ and called his number.

Grrriin!’

Grrrriiiiin!’

His number wasn’t reachable. She dialed it repeatedly, but he wasn’t picking. All her efforts to reach him at that minute turned abortive.

“Knock knock! Abegi na who dey here?!” a thick masculine voice called from outside.

The one holding a very sharp cutlass seemed to be their leader. He tied a red handkerchief on his head and all the gangs were all in black, sweating.

“Na who dey here abi una don die ni?!” the leader grumbled.

“I’m coming oooo!” Doctor Azeezah answered from inside as she ran to open the door. The seven of them entered. All at once.

They were tall, huge, well built and dark complexioned. They all seem to belong to a cult group or something.

Immediately they entered, their dark eyes glinted with malicious intent. Doctor Azeezah and Zainab trembled at the guys standing in front of them in the middle of the night.

“To the ground!” The leader commanded. Both of them went down immediately, lying as flat, like two pieces of pancakes against the hot frypan. The cold marbled floor gave their sweaty skins a burning sensation.

Zainab was shivering. Her head drooped low to the cold tiles, her two hands robbing each other in fear.

“Please, don’t kill me…” she begged, tears pouring down her eyes like that of a baby.

Taking a closer glance from where the voice came from, her beauty struck Scorpion’s eyes. He narrowed his eyes at the girl and moved closer. For no reason, he loved her reaction and anxiousness.

To Zainab, it was also the first time she experienced something like this. The robbery, gunshot and everything related to them.

“Mario! Bring her forward!!” the leader of the gang ordered.

With just a fist, Mario grabbed and threw her to the ground, before his master. She just laid on the ground firmly and adjusted her wrapper that exposed part of her laps. Both Zainab and the doctor were shivering with fear.… Na who won die?

***

Enjoy reading  and please, don't forget to press the tiny orange star ★ at the end of each chapter to notify me you've actually read it… So! What are we waiting for! Get ready for this story of family, adventure, mystery and plot twists.