Chapter Three

I cried. I cried until I was sick. I cried until I couldn't cry anymore. What did I do in my life to deserve this? It was my fault. Everything was.

I lied in a ball on the floor for over an hour. Rogue came; whining and nudging his head against mine but eventually gave up and lied down beside me. The carpet spot beneath my head was soaked in my tears and blood. Blood? Lifting myself with great effort off the floor to sit up, I felt the spot that was aching on the back of my head. Sure enough, when I pulled my hand back, my fingers were covered in a deep, rubicund, liquid. Oh, God.

I groaned as I gingerly stood, swaying and losing my footing a couple of times before I was able to walk a straight line to the bathroom. I froze when I took in the length of my body in the long mirror beside the shower. I was a complete mess. Lifting my slightly torn clothes, I studied my body. The side of my stomach was turning blue and black. My arms were beginning to show the same finger bruises I had on my hips from our fucking the night before while my neck was red from his choke hold. The skin around my left eye blew up to an unusual size turning blue and my lip was cut, probably from the several slaps I received. I couldn't see the cut on the back of my head but I was hoping it wasn't deep enough to need any stitches.

After cleaning up as best as I could, I changed into a pair of yoga pants and a turtle neck jumper. The material was thin so I wouldn't get too hot and it covered most of my injuries. Even if it would get me killed, I needed to escape. I couldn't live like this anymore. This was the worst beating yet but next time I could end up in hospital or worse, dead. Making my decision, I quickly packed as much as I could into a duffel bag, grabbing my makeup bag and toiletries.

Rogue ran around with me in silence. When I stepped into the living room, it was a picture of broken lamps, upturned chairs and furniture moved out of place, mocking me of earlier events. Quickly grabbing a can of Rogue's food, a bag of dog bites and his bowl, I grabbed my cell phone and dialled my sister's number with shaking fingers.

"Hello?"

"Cara." I said, breathlessly.

"Ava? What's wrong? Are you okay? What happened?" Cara threw out the questions rapidly.

"I need to leave. I can't do this anymore. He broke me." I choke out on a sob.

"Jesus. What happened Ava? Please, tell me you're okay."

"He's cheating on me, Cara. The bastard is out now, cheating on me after I fucking confronted him." I cried, gripping the phone tight.

"Oh, honey. I'm so sorry. He didn't hit you again did he?"

I let out a bitter laugh. "Nothing I can't handle."

"How bad, Ava? Tell me. How badly did he hit you this time?"

"You wouldn't recognise me." I whispered.

"Oh, dear God. Get out of there, Ava. Now. I'll buy you a ticket out to L.A. Just drive to LaGuardia Airport."

"No, Cara. I can't come to you. He'll find me."

"Ava, please." My sister pleaded.

"I can't talk right now, Cara. I need to leave before he comes back."

"Where are you going to go?"

"I don't know yet." I said, wiping my tears carefully around the bruises on my face. "Listen, I'm going to dump this phone at some point, when I buy a new one. I'll let you know when. But don't call me. Wait for me to call you. Also, please, if Damian calls you, don't tell him that I contacted you."